Help with Gear Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Gear Swap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-09-2001, 04:15 PM   #1
Drewson

Help with Gear Swap

I have a 93 YJ with the 2.5L, soon to have the 4.0L if I can find the computer and all the harnesses.

My questions is this: I want to remove my 4.10/4.11 gears for 4.88's. But the guy at the shop said that my stock 35 would be asking for trouble since the new splines would be smaller. He suggested installing a "Super 35", which he said adds a detroit locker and give the performance of a Dana 44.

Is this necessary? Is it worth an additional $1300 installed?

Chrome/diamond plate everything not welded on
Drewson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2001, 04:56 PM   #2
winokko

Drewson....if you go with the axle/gear swap I'd be interested in your old stuff! Let me know what you decide.
Unread 07-09-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
grinder

well I would say that you are putting a lot of starain on the 35,IF you wheel a lot or just wheel HARD. A lot of guys have busted the dana 35 while running 35 in. tires. A common swap is a ford 8.8 (very strong)out of and explorer and you get disc brakes as a bonus. Or if you are lucky you might find a 8.25 out of a cherokee that had a tow package on it and they are almost as strong as the 44. The 8.25 chry. is a direct swap.Check your options first to see where you can save some cash.
Unread 07-09-2001, 10:10 PM   #4
grinder

I'm sorry the 8.25 might not be a direct swap!! I was thinking xj not yj My Mistake!
Unread 07-10-2001, 12:14 AM   #5
hamyscj

The shop is giving you information for the optimal performance of your jeep. Obviously it is your choice. The ford 8.8 is an excelent choice. I just put one in my bro's 92 YJ. It is fairly straight forward and fits like a glove. Rock on, Hamy.
Unread 07-10-2001, 11:57 PM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I think the term "Super 35" is an oxymoron. You'd be better off spending a few bucks on some spare shafts for the 35 until you can afford a real swap.

Besides, with the 4.0 the 4.88s would be way too low. 4.56s are too low unless you're going to run 35" tires (not recommended with the Dana 35) or you're a rockcrawler and can stomach the high revs on the highway.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.