Help With Ford 9", or Ford 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help With Ford 9", or Ford 8.8

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Help With Ford 9", or Ford 8.8

Hey guys, I have three Early Ford Broncos with the short 9" rear ends, and I was wondering just how easily these rear ends will bolt in. I know they have drum brakes, but I'm sure I can find a conversion kit for a reasonable price, or do something myself. I also have a cousin who owns a massive salvage yard, so I have access to a plethora of Ford 8.8 rear ends. I was just wanting feedback on whether the Ford 9" is substantially stronger over the 8.8, or if I should just go with a 8.8 and save myself some headache if there is anymore involved with installing a 9" over a 8.8. Also, is the bolt pattern the same? I can't get home to measure it for a while. Thanks so much guys and any feedback is welcome.

Cbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

9" is awsome strong with 33 or 35 spline axles. Not sure if the bronco came with more than 30 spline though. Not sure about the bolt patern but it's either 5on5.5 or 5on4.5. It's worth looking into.
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The swap in is as simple as doing the 8.8 swap. You can use the same bracket kits they sell for the 8.8. The early bronco axles are a bit shorter than even the 8.8 axles. The lug pattern will be 5 on 5.5 but can be converted with a set of spacers that make the width just right. As for strength, after market and the plethora of second hand parts, the 9" gets the nod. Go with the big bearing housing. If its not 31 spline thats easy to remedy but getting shafts for 31 spline with the small bearing is pretty much impossible. Even on the custom front.

Depending on your goals, 28 spline is still not a bad upgrade but make sure you have the option to upgrade to 31 splines etc by going with the big bearing housing. Course you can weld big bearing ends on the housing. Ahh the 9" ford, endless possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?

Last edited by MLJeeper; 10-27-2008 at 01:45 PM..
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ha, that is awesome to hear then. I will probably beef her up pretty nicely and throw it in. I like the idea of using a spacer with a different bolt pattern to get back my width and use my wheels. I think it is 5x5.5 on the Broncos rear. I have a 4" rough country on it now, and if I spring-over the rear and put back on the stock leaf springs will the back match the front as far as heighth? I just think it would be easier to just do the back if it would sit right and do the front at a later date maybe. Any feedback is very welcome.
Unread 10-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I upgraded my dif when i went with more lift. My rig sits level with the early bronco axle in it SUA. NOt sure with your proposed config.

I wouldn't say i like the idea of running the spacers, but they've certainly caused me no issues and i beat my rig hard. When you go to install, you will either have to grind down the wheel studs to clear the spacers or get shorter studs. I will try to find the napa part number for the shorter studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was just wondering if with a 4" Rough Country in the front and stock springs spring over in the rear if the rig would sit level. And the ideas of spacers don't bother me, and I would very much appreciate that part number.
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody know if she would sit level with that configuration? 4" Rough Country springs in the front and Spring-Over in the rear?
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
sbenja2003
2005 WK 

Ive heard that a soa with stock springs = 5.5 of lift so it would probably sit higher in the back.
sbenja2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
The swap in is as simple as doing the 8.8 swap. You can use the same bracket kits they sell for the 8.8. The early bronco axles are a bit shorter than even the 8.8 axles. The lug pattern will be 5 on 5.5 but can be converted with a set of spacers that make the width just right. As for strength, after market and the plethora of second hand parts, the 9" gets the nod. Go with the big bearing housing. If its not 31 spline thats easy to remedy but getting shafts for 31 spline with the small bearing is pretty much impossible. Even on the custom front.

Depending on your goals, 28 spline is still not a bad upgrade but make sure you have the option to upgrade to 31 splines etc by going with the big bearing housing. Course you can weld big bearing ends on the housing. Ahh the 9" ford, endless possibilities.
Ford 9" in this car

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
rescueyj

What is the benifit of just springing over the rear
Unread 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That way I just have it done, and when i decide to do the front, I will just have to do that. And isn't the axle is already spring-over, I just don't know if the perches are the correct width apart. You feel me? Ha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.