Help with electrical mystery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with electrical mystery

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
K2Racing

Help with electrical mystery

To make a long story short, I had to put my old stereo back in my Jeep until I get a new CD player. basically I installed it very lazy, the thing is sitting on my pass. front seat..yeah, I know. Anyway, I was driving home the other night and the instrument panel lights ALL went out along with the stereo, no power, no sound. All the cluster lights don't light up BUT the gauges are working. This is with the headlights on as I was driving home at night. So I thought that one of the radion wires must have grounded out on the dash or something and blew a fuse. The next morning, I went out and cranked it up and low and behold, the radio was working. Switch the headlights on...goes off, off with the switch...back on, I think you get the drift. So basically, if the sun is out, I can listen to the radio, but if not, I have no tunes and no lights on the gauges.
Any ideas????

BTW, 1988 YJ I6 5 Speed
Thanks

K2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
alsjeep

Im not an electrical guru but it sounds to me like when you connected your power wires for your stereo you taped into the wires for your dash lights. 1st thing I would do is check all you wires to the stereo again and then take the stereo OFF your seat and put it back where it belongs . hpoe that helps you out a bit
mostly stock for now[COLOR=Black]
alsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
NYWheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

sounds like you wired the illumination lead to the ground pin on the radio. Check your ground connection. The illumination lead will test ground with the headlight switch off and positive 12v when on.
NYWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Toyandgadgetguy

Agreed. Check the illumination wire. I'm betting that you've hooked it up to ground someplace...

[COLOR=Red]Red JEEP club member # 267[/COLOR]
Toyandgadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
94Wrangler4.0

The ground is the way to go. I had the exact same thing happen when I replaced the radio in my *gasp* Bronco. You will probably just have to run a new ground for the radio. Hope you find the gremlin.
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
K2Racing

I see what you are saying. The wiring cluster that I used was the one it was hooked up to originally before I pulled it out the first time. It is a black wire hanging out, so I guess the original installer used it and I re-used it and its now biting me.
Thanks guys, weird, I wired it back in the way it was when I bought the thing a couple of months ago. I did notice that when I would switch the headlights off when I was pulling up at home that the radio would go off for a second and then power back on. But I never had a problem with the dash lights. It was all of a sudden that everything went out and now at night, with the headlight switch on, I have no lights inside and no tunes. I'll disconnect the radio all together and see if I get my lights back and see where I can go from there. I hope to have my new CD player in soon and I need to figure out a better wiring scheme if this is going to be a problem the way it is now.

Last edited by K2Racing; 01-25-2005 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: New thoughts
K2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.