Help? Do you have a Ford 8.8 and 4" lift? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help? Do you have a Ford 8.8 and 4" lift?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes yours. Its good, I guess!
Angle finder or degree finder. Its in the tolls section in Lowes. Usually around the carpentry.

K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinHouston View Post
The dimension on mine is 14 3/4" to the bottom of the flange. Photo attached. You can't really tell in the photo but he axle pinion and driveshaft are parallel (at the same angle).
From TC bottom yoke to the ground is 20.5" and from axle flange to the ground is 14.25"

Last edited by Jeeper_YJ; 04-21-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #18
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper_YJ View Post
I got 14.25-14.5". Maybe that's the 1* lower? Sounds close?

Also, from tc yoke to the ground I got 20.5"
It's close but again I'd be more concerned about the angles than the distance. Yours looks good in the photo but it's hard to tell. If you don't have any vibrations and visually the angles of the pinion and driveshaft look to be about the same I'd call it good. I spent a lot of time with mine sitting in the perches (not welded) pecking on it with a hammer and checking the angles before I tacked it. But I'm anal about that kind of stuff. I did the same thing to get the side to side distance right. I couldn't be happier with the 8.8 and the whole setup after it was complete. It was nice to get rid of that TC drop. My motor mounts were bad (I think the TC drop put too much strain on the stock mounts) so I replaced them (with Brown Dog) at the same time. It was like a different Jeep when I got it all done. Of course going from 3.55 to 4.10 gears helped too.

- NRA Life Member - Licensed to Carry and Do.
DaveinHouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so you want the pinion the same angle as the driveshaft? maybe a degree or two lower?
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #20
Jeeper_YJ

I have to agree! I do get a small vib though. Nothing like before. But, I do have a aussie locker in now and a wheel weight fell off. Not to mention the alignment is off. lol! From vib went from a bad 9 to a good 2-3 (1-good and 10-bad). So, it's better! I agree, nice to see the tc drop bracket gone.

I also like the disc brakes now too. Better stopping power. I am curious to see what the LSD in the 8.8 and aussie locker can now do. Both are new add-ons.
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni View Post
does anyone have a write up on how to set pinion angle.
There are a bunch of write-ups out there but I didn't find any that went into a lot of detail on how to set the angle. Like I said earlier I set my axle (not welded to the perches) into the Jeep, laying on the perches and springs. I had jack stands under the springs with the Jeep's weight on the springs to simulate a normal stance. With the new driveshaft installed I tapped around on the axle until I got the angle and the side to side dimensions right. Then I tack welded the perches. I welded it out in place but you could remove it to weld out.

Unread 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
Jeeper_YJ

Without driveshaft in.

With driveshaft in.
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni View Post
so you want the pinion the same angle as the driveshaft? maybe a degree or two lower?
I did mine with the driveshaft and pinion at exactly the same angle, but most write-ups suggest one degree lower to allow for a little axle wrap under acceleration. I figured there wouldn't be any axle wrap under most driving conditions. But who knows.

Unread 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinHouston View Post
I did mine with the driveshaft and pinion at exactly the same angle, but most write-ups suggest one degree lower to allow for a little axle wrap under acceleration. I figured there wouldn't be any axle wrap under most driving conditions. But who knows.
To check pinion angle. You put the angle finder on the TC and the axle? The reason I ask is I asked someone to measure the TC yoke to ground and their's sits higher. Wouldn't this change the pinion angle as well?

He got 20.5 from TC yoke to ground. I got 19.5"
He got 14 3/4" from axle flange to ground. I got 14.25"

So, by my math. His axle is .5" higher in the pinion angle. Not sure on an angle finder if that is a lot or not?

Last edited by Jeeper_YJ; 04-21-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Joe Dillard offered up a quick trick on here once to find approx. 1 to 2 deg. below center line for the 8.8. If you run a string in line with the cast "rib" located on the side of the diff. housing that runs along the pinion portion by the flange and then put the other end of the string at the bottom of the TC output shaft (while keeping the axle end of the string in line with that rib), that line should be an approx. 2 deg. drop from center.

If using an angle gauge, you can still use a string to mimick the DS and just run it center U joint to center U joint, get the reading, then drop your pinion 2degrees below that. As cheap as they are, it just makes sense to get the angle finder and be sure before welding up your perches.
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #26
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha. I'll have to check. What is the tool called so I can pick one up at Lowes?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
Yes yours. Its good, I guess!
Angle finder or degree finder. Its in the tolls section in Lowes. Usually around the carpentry.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #27
Jeeper_YJ

In my case where it's already done. How do you figure it out? Is there a math solution to figure it out based on the numbers I posted?
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To check pinion angle. You put the angle finder on the TC and the axle? The reason I ask is I asked someone to measure the TC yoke to ground and their's sits higher. Wouldn't this change the pinion angle as well?

He got 20.5 from TC yoke to ground. I got 19.5"
He got 14 3/4" from axle flange to ground. I got 14.25"

So, by my math. His axle is .5" higher in the pinion angle. Not sure on an angle finder if that is a lot or not?
I checked the angle on the driveshaft (with it installed) and on the axle pinion. They should both be app. the same angle...pointing at the transfer case. I wanted to check it with the driveshaft installed to allow for the length of the double cardan joint. Either I got it right or got lucky because I have NO vibration. Visually it looks right too. I used two of the magnetic angle finders at the same time and pecked around on the axle until I was happy with it.

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #29
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In my case where it's already done. How do you figure it out? Is there a math solution to figure it out based on the numbers I posted?
You could still attach an angle finder to the driveshaft shaft and to the flat spot on the axle and compare the readings. They should either be the same or 1 degree down on the pinion if that's what you want. Would take about ten minutes.

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
everydayXJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The tool will be with the tape measures and levels, not sure of the exact name but you'll recognize it. Looks like a wheel with a flat base, hanging inside the degreed wheel is a pointer. The base(s) will be magnetic.

As for the $1k, that's what mine cost including the front end regear. I kept notes on what I bought and how much it cost.... big mistake!

8.8 $200
Install kit (MORE) $270
Wheel bearings $30
Wheel seals $15
gear oil $10
Brake lines $30
extended upper shock brackets $80 (very cool add on btw)
welding rod and a new helmet $40

D30 gears and install kit were $240
axle seals $30
u-joints $50

So, yeah it's a cool grand to do it right. If you were swapping into a 4cyl you would have avoided the front end expense I suppose.

eta:
Oh yeah, and another $10 for extra length racing studs for the 1" solid spacer I had fabbed up for the right side, gets width back to stock and help better center up that pinion.

Rock on!

eta2:

Hey Daveinhouston.... me too!

Last edited by everydayXJ; 04-21-2010 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: factoids
everydayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.