Help with Distributor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Distributor

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Help with Distributor

Hey guys, I'm stumped and could use someones advice. I messed up my old distributor and unwittingly pulled it out to try to fix what I had done not realizing that I was opening a whole can of worms. When I got the old distributor out I realized a brand new one was $40 so I just coughed it up. Now I'm trying to reinstall the new distributor. I got the mark on the crank pulley at the 0 mark of the little scale on the engine for TDC. I got the distributor shaft in and the rotor pointing at 1, at approx 5 o'clock.

My problem is that the distributor hold-down bolt will not thread all the way in. I've put a screwdriver down the hole and hand cranked the engine around, I also put a flathead in the hold the dist shaft would go in and rotated it slightly and still no luck. How do I get the bolt to thread all the way in again?

EdgyAsHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You have to make sure the base of the dizzy is flat to the hole in the block and the bolt should just screw in.
Do not force anything.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well even with the distributor out I cant thread it all the way in. Seems to be unrelated to the dist postitioning.
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Get a shorter bolt
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Haha good idea except that my dist will not stop spinning with it screwed in at the level it's at. Im totally stumped on this! I'm done with my stuff just need to get the dist to stop moving and I'm good to go. Hoping someone knows what's going on...
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You aren't positioning the oil pump shaft properly. It takes a little finegling , as the distributor shaft rotates clockwise some as the distributor goes down into position. So you have to try the oil pump shaft in varying positions till the dizzy drops down flush with the block.

Pull the dizzy, set the OP shaft slightly ahead of #1 position, then try to see if everything drops in. Keep trying till it works.
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAsHell View Post
Haha good idea except that my dist will not stop spinning with it screwed in at the level it's at. Im totally stumped on this! I'm done with my stuff just need to get the dist to stop moving and I'm good to go. Hoping someone knows what's going on...
You are probably not getting the oil pump driveshaft slot into the base of the distributor drive gear base. Your other problem is that you do not know if this engine is at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke.

Pull #1 plug...stick finger in plug hole. Have a buddy bump engine until the compression wants to push your finger out of the #1 plug hole. Use breaker bar and large socket to finish bringing this engine up to TDC by sticking long thin stick in #1 hole to watch #1 piston come up to TDC checked against your timing marks. Once TDC on the compression stroke do not move this engine crankshaft.

Look down the distributor hole and make sure the oil pump drive shaft slot is in the just past 11 o'clock position. Next you must determine which tower in the distributor is going to be #1. Look at you current distributor cap to determine where that is. Now, mark the base of the distributor showing that spot. Next back off the rotor a bit before that mark and slide the distributor in. The gear taht meshes with the cam is helical cut (slanted) so to hit the spot you need to start before that spot and let the rotor/shaft slide downward and forward at the same time. When installed the rorot should be at or near that mark on tthe distribbutor base. Snug down the bolt, add the cap and fire it up!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAsHell View Post
...I realized a brand new one was $40 so I just coughed it up. ...
Where did you get a new distributor for $40?

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Autozone. They had a $30 core fee but since I already had mine out and ready to go I figured wth why not. Thanks for the better description of what I have to do. I plan on tackling this some more tonight.
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got my distributor at AutoZone for $55 after core. I had mine out too so I didn't have to pay the core charge.

Are you still having trouble?

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Help! I need someone to shed some light on what I'm doing wrong here. This thing is driving me crazy! My problem is simple... I can't screw the distributor hold-down bolt all the way in. It goes about 3/4 of the way in, stops there, and the distributor is still loose.

First I followed all of the steps you guys listed here in this post. Then I followed this link. For once my Chilton may have paid off because it has a pretty good description:

Quote:
INSTALLATION, ENGINE ROTATED
6-258

1. If the engine has been rotated while the distributor was out, you;ll have to first put the engine on No.1 cylinder at Top Dead Center firing position. You can either remove the valve cover or No. 1 spark plug to determine engine position. Rotate the engine with a socket wrench on the nut at the center of the front pulley in the normal direction of rotation. Either feel for air being expelled forcefully through the spark plug hole or watch for the engine to rotate up to the Top Center mark without the valves moving (both valves will be closed).

2. Start the distributor into the engine with the matchmarks between the distributor body and the engine lined up. Turn the rotor slightly until the matchmarks on the bottom of the distributor body and the bottom of the distributor shaft near the gear are aligned.

3. Insert the distributor all the way into the engine. If you have trouble getting the distributor and camshaft gears to mesh, turn the rotor back and forth very slightly until the distributor can be inserted easily. If the rotor is not now lined up with the position of No. 1 plug terminal, you'll have to pull the distributor back out slightly, shift the position of the rotor appropriately, and then reinstall it.

4. Align the matchmarks between the distributor and engine. Install the distributor mounting bolt and tighten it finger tight. Reconnect the vacuum advance line and distributor wiring connector, and reinstall the gasket and cap. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Adjust the ignition timing as described in Chapter 2. Then, tighten the distributor mounting bolt.
I have gotten the distributor seated in all the way in with the rotor in various positions. I am at TDC in Cylinder 1 and my timing mark is at 0. I've cranked the engine by hand at length and never got the hole to line up. I'm almost out of ideas on how to get this dang bolt in. I have the screw in the hole so that when/if it ever lines up I will know it. The only idea I have left is to try to get the camshaft gear inside the shaft to rotate and maybe that will allow the bolt to go deeper? I'm really unclear what specifically moves inside there to even begin to line the bolt hole up. I beginning to second guess myself that I'm even using the right bolt anymore! Could anyone explain to me what markings on the distributor and the engine I should be using? Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a couple photos to show what I'm working with:

Unread 02-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #12
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My distributor is a little different than yours. Mine has a bolt and small locking plate that holds the distributor down. If I were you I would see if the bolt (and plate if you have one) will go in properly without the distributor. There shouldn't be anything that needs lined up for the bolt to go all the way in. This would clear my mind of that being the problem and let me know where I need to focus, the bolt or the distributor itself.

Unread 02-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^X2, I believe that you sir are missing a part to complete the puzzle. The little u-plate will probably be about as thick as the gap you have under the head of the bolt. I'll try and snap a shot of one later today.
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bekim, I think you are missing this part here
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You cannot disturb the engine once you get it at TDC on the compression stroke!!! You must turn the oil pump drive slot you see whenlooking down into the distributer 'hole' with a screwdriver so the end of the distributer gear can slide into place AND engage that slot atb the same time.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.