Help with diagnosing my Rio Grande's frame: Picture Edition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with diagnosing my Rio Grande's frame: Picture Edition

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Help with diagnosing my Rio Grande's frame: Picture Edition

Ok so guys... I haven't put pics of my HEEP on here in a long time...since before I got it.. Now I'm uploading a bunch so I can get some opinions.
There are a couple of pics just to show her off (nothing much to show off just yet )

But the other boat load of pics are pictures of the underside of my rig, mainly the rusty frame and a few other shots.

I'd like to know what parts of this are bad. The spot on the front of the driver's side frame is obviously in need of treatment. I figure it can be patched relatively simply given its position and access. However I want to know if there are any other areas that are concerning/dangerous.

I took the wire brush to a few of the spots to scrap SOME rust off. You can tell my how its very dull and rusty there.

But my goal is to prime and paint the frame in the next few weeks.
I'm looking for advice as to what needs to be fixed/replaced before priming/painting.

Be patient guys please. Underneath the rig is pretty messy

Gotta have the Old Style

Bad News Bears!

Phrankoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Unread 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Well that's all of em...

So doctors....whats the diagnoses?
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

she is definitely a little rough on the underside. Mine was rough as well in a lot of areas. How are your body mounts at the back bumper? You want to check the body to see if it is rusted out there. I had my Jeep laid up for about 7 months and I wire wheeled basically the whole undercarriage. If I was to do it again I would have it sandblasted. First find out the full extent of the damage, repair as needed, then POR 15 or KBS the whole underside to prevent future decay. Have fun, remember it's a hobby!!!
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

You can see one of the rear body mounts in the last picture there. It is in pretty good condition. The other one is in similar condition. There is only one that is really bad. I do, however, plan on getting the Daystar 1" body lift that replaces the stock mounts...so that shouldn't be an issue.
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks to me like other than the one spot by the steering box the frame just has some surface rust. poke around with a sharp screwdriver and if nothing goes through just clean it up and apply a good protective paint to it. But definately some welding needed at the steering box. enjoy
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I've seen worse, but not much that was still on the road.
Your steering box is very likely to pull the rest of the way through soon. It's cracking around the bolts already. I wouldn't drive it too much till that area is fixed.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I've seen worse, but not much that was still on the road.
Your steering box is very likely to pull the rest of the way through soon. It's cracking around the bolts already. I wouldn't drive it too much till that area is fixed.
Ratmonkey, are you implying that I will need to replace the steering box?

ok so this will seem like a dumb question but- I can just have that area patched, right? its not like, a really, really bad situation is it?

How would you guys go about fixing it ? Mind you I have NO welding experience. If I were to try to find a welder, and had to explain to them over the phone, what would I say needs to be done?

I thought I'd be able to get it patched. If that's the case, what kind of price are we talking?
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry to say that until your jeep has that area around the steering box can be properly repaired it should not be driven on public roads.

What could very possibly happen is the steering box bolts would pull through the "frame" at which point you'd have no directional controll of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

OH wow... well.. like I asked before- how do I go about fixing it ? is it a welding job? do I need to replace a big chunk of the frame? do I need to replace bolts?

This is why I'm asking all of you guys for help- I would have never thought it to be anything past aan area that needs to get patched
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Should I take it to a shop and have them inspect it and tell me whats wrong and how to fix it? Does it have anything to do with the pitman arm? I don't know much about auto maintenance at all. Now I'm really worried

EDIT: Will I need to replace the steering box? Should I order a steering box replacement kit? (Includes sector shaft, seal, bearings and bushing. Bearing kit also available.)

So basically? The steering box COULD potentially pull through the rotting frame? In other words- if I fix that part of the frame itll be ok?
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Problem solved! sort of... I asked coworkers if they "knew anyone." Turns out there's a place 100 yards from my work that can do it!

The place fixes trucks. One of their specialties is framework. Making frames longer or shorter.

They sent over their veteran welder and after a briefing he took a look.Checked out the area, slag hammered it up a bit, cleared additional rust, made the hole bigger..etc.

I presented him with a few pictures from here and whatever else I could find on the internet of people fixing the same problem. Also showed him that the piece could be purchased from Quadratec.

After all was said and done he declared he was going to patch it with some thick steel he had. Essentially he is going to reinforce it. He will make a thick bracket of sorts so that it welds to the strong pieces on of the frame, obviously. It will extend on the underside of the frame section and up top more than halfway up the frame. He mentioned he didn't want to do any work that would change the drive angle or anything.

He said to replace the whole section, the Quadratech way, would be a PITA, time consuming, cost worthy and more cost worthy. He said all he needs to do to gain access to this point is to lift it up- and remove the front bumper and the plastic piece behind it without having to remove or replace the steering box. I think I will be replacing the bolts for the steering box very shortly.

In addition to that- he is going to inspect the rest of the frame. This is great because he knows what he's doing and is going to give me the dirty low down if anything else is structurally unsound.

In the end he is charging me $300 for everything. Parts and labor. My coworkers said this is a good price all things considered. Is it? It seems like a good price.

Anywho..thats the word...for now.
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

$300 doesn't sound too bad. As far as the rest of the frame it looks a lot like surface rust. I would take an angle grinder and wire wheel and clean it up and hit it with a couple coats of primer. It also looks like you need new shocks and a new bumpstop.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

Yea I need two new bump stops. And yes I need new shocks! haha.

the idea was to replace the shocks when I did the lift.was thinking RC 2.5 but I think 2.5 MIGHT be too high.
I want a lift where I don't have to replace anything extra- pitman arm drops, t-case drops, brake lines etc.

I was shooting for 31"s, 2.0-2.5 lift, 1" daystar body lift

EDIT:

I also want to make sure the rest of the frame is ok. Then like you said, hit it with a wire wheel. Prime it and cover it with some Hammered Black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.