help, deep in the motor, the wallet, and still not in the mud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help, deep in the motor, the wallet, and still not in the mud

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
skysthelimit001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

help, deep in the motor, the wallet, and still not in the mud

3 months ago i bought an 87 wrangler yj...i've been working on it ever since...after a few days i replaced some gaskets and the exhaust and noticed that the motor had a knock from the lower half....since then, i've bored out the block and installed every part brand new or reconditioned including: crankshaft, main and rod bearings, pistons, freeze plugs, camshaft and cam bearings, full gasket kit, harmonic balance, oil pump, etc....i fired her up late last night and there is still a knock about the same as it was before the rebuild slightly higher pitch....i'm so frustrated with it this jeep is fighting so hard i'm at a loss for what to do next...please any ideas would help

skysthelimit001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
bec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

new oil filter?did you run it with the drivebelt off?automatic transmission or manual transmission? could be a flywheel.just some suggestions if the motor was properly built
bec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

New oil pump, it is mechanical no?
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your oil pan for dents. It dont takr much of a dent to hit the crank an sound like a rod going out.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
bec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i said oil filter if you did not change it and it was plugged up
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
skysthelimit001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

brand new oil filter...its a manual tranny....no visible dents in the oil pan but i had someone helping me and he felt a knock vibration when he put his hand on the oil pan....the only thing i can think of is that something wasnt right w the crankshaft and main bearings, when i put it in the motor was on a stand and it was hard to turn it over by hand once i got it started it spun ok but not as easily as i would have liked....i should have used a feeler gauge but the napa auto parts called their machine shop and they swear the bearings match the cut on the crank...?????
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
bec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the news,I would sure make napa responsible if indeed they gave you the wrong bearings.you don't think it is possibility a rod cap is turned backwards or cap is on wrong rod?first engine I built I completed block and turn crankshaft over and the crank got tight.pulled rod caps and found out that I had two caps in wrong location.switch em back and turned like a champ .that I what I got for not clearly marking the rod and caps.engine had been built before because there were several rods marked the same no.lesson well learned for me.
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit001 View Post
brand new oil filter...its a manual tranny....no visible dents in the oil pan but i had someone helping me and he felt a knock vibration when he put his hand on the oil pan....the only thing i can think of is that something wasnt right w the crankshaft and main bearings, when i put it in the motor was on a stand and it was hard to turn it over by hand once i got it started it spun ok but not as easily as i would have liked....i should have used a feeler gauge but the napa auto parts called their machine shop and they swear the bearings match the cut on the crank...?????
It doesnt take much of a dent to makt it knock. If the old motor knocked and this one does also almost have too be the same thing wrong with both.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
GOWAD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

your not the only one my motor is doing the same thing ........ we took it a part 3 times still same knock
GOWAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
bec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Now that my memory is coming back I do remember a bulletin.was the pistons you installed black coated?if not clearance issues need to be addressed.this was with a piston knock at idle.
Unread 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
bec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry I believe that bulletin was on 93 or later.
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
skysthelimit001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i figured it out after another late night wrenchin it was a dent in the oil pan that looked so uniform and factory i thought it was supposed to b like that, i also forgot to put in a new crank pilot bearing....thanks for all the advice.....

i have a new set of issues now, im on my second set of new freeze plugs and their still leaking, i tried permatex gasket maker, next im gonna loosen the radiator cap and run the motor under lower pressure and c if the heat will help them seal....this yj is putting up quite a fight but i'll make her run smooth in the end weather she likes it or not!!
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit001 View Post
i figured it out after another late night wrenchin it was a dent in the oil pan that looked so uniform and factory i thought it was supposed to b like that, i also forgot to put in a new crank pilot bearing....thanks for all the advice.....

i have a new set of issues now, im on my second set of new freeze plugs and their still leaking, i tried permatex gasket maker, next im gonna loosen the radiator cap and run the motor under lower pressure and c if the heat will help them seal....this yj is putting up quite a fight but i'll make her run smooth in the end weather she likes it or not!!
If you do not use or make a 'tool' to tap in the freeze plugs so they are in straight they will leak no matter how much goop you put on them. Use a proper sized socket or section of pipe to tap them in straight. They should have a bit of Permatex on them but not gobs of the stuff.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed , knocking , rebuild kit , stroker motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.