Help Deciding "how" to build my dana 44 and dana 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Deciding "how" to build my dana 44 and dana 60

Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!All our Different Weld Washers!Panhard Parts & Kits from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help Deciding "how" to build my dana 44 and dana 60

i have a 44 and 60 i'm about to build for my yj...i plan to continue to run the 39.5x18" boggers.... I have a 4 banger, ax5, and np231

both "new" axles are from a 1979 F250 (non-snowlow version)

one day i plan to swap in a 350, some sort of auto tranny, and a dana 300.... but not anytime within the next 3 or 4 years...... so.... the questions:

for the rear dana 60:

i have yukon 35 spline axle shafts... plan to bore axle shafts to fit them

plan on 5.38 gears (brand?)

planning on an arb locker but if i could buy a detroit and be guaranteed full lock when on the gas and know for sure that i wouldn't be wearing my tires more when driving on the street, i'd go that route and save a few hundred dollars.

what brand seals and bearings would be most recommended?
autozone, advanec auto, carquest, and napa are all near my home and easy to deal with.

disc brake conversion: who's kit is the most complete and most cost effective?

once converted to disc brakes i am told that i will need 16" wheels to clear the calipers... correct?

wheels... running the axles full width so i need a wheel with an offset that won't put me in both lanes of traffic.... h2 hummer wheels with the weld-on beadlock kits? maybe h1 beadlocks re-centered? some good ol eagle alloys maybe?

shock & leaf mounts: suggested brand and place to buy?

front dana 44:

planning on the same, 5.38 gears

locker... with lockable hubs could i just use a spool in the front without effecting street driving and tire wear much? or would a detroit be my best bet? don't feel the need to drop the $$$ on an arb for the front... maybe one day when i'm rich.

which lockable hubs? are the warn kits from advance auto parts (partsamerica.com) recommended? or do you guys recommend another kit?

shafts and joints: i'm still very unfamiliar with the insides of a front axle assembly... i know there are inner and outer shafts, and thats about it... don't fully understand the u-joints and such since i haven't even started tearing down the front axle yet. upgraded shafts recommended for the inners and outers? or is that a waste of money on a front axle? i'm wide open for your suggestions on this topic.

bearings and seals: same question... which brand, where to buy

steering: local shop (masonboroautomotive.com) will be doing my drag link, tie rod, and heim joints... but i'll need to buy the steering arms... which would be the beefiest and best choice to use? don't plan on hydro assist at this time and i doubt i'll look at that as an option in the future since the places i plan to wheel are uwharrie and tellico at best... mostly this will be an overbuilt trail riding rig that plays in mud puddles.

shock mounts and spring mounts: suggested place to buy? suggested brand?

also looking for a way to extend my wheelbase, easily... a few inches maybe... i've seen a few setups where people's front shackles are mounted to a custom front bumper to move the front axle forward a couple inches... any suggestions on that? seems like it would be easier to move the front axle forward than it is to move the rear axle back a few inches....

thanks in advance: i know this is a tough one!

-Erik <--- also looking for ideas about driveshafts

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
jeepnguns

Gears- I only use dana spicer gears easy to set-up and strong.

Bearings and seals- Timken for both although chicago rawhide seals are good also.

Lockers- I only use detroits, what ever you do do not spool the front stteering sucks.

Hubs- get warn Premiums

Have fun and good luck
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow alot of questions! For gears I would go with Randy's Ring and Pinion. They are spicer brand in Yukon boxes. Get the install kit there too. I would run (and do) the Detroit in the rear. Welded rear or spool would work too depending on how much you drive it on the street. For the disk brake conversion I would run (and do) weldble brackets from speedway motors. They will accept chevy calipers. You should be able to still use the stock wheels off of the Ford. Not sure on the backspacing on the rims but with a 18" wide tire you are going to have to run at least a 10" wheel. There are alot of good springs out there I would stay away from Pro Comp. I am assuming with that big of tire you are going SOA? Wtih your 4 banger right now you may not need a traction bar but when you go to the V 8 you will. The front I would go with the ARB. If you want to run a Detroit or spool in front then you may need to go with a full hydro steering or at least a hydro assist. Warn premiuns for sure for the lock outs. CTMs for the u joints. DOM 2" tubing for the tie rod and drag link.
Unread 08-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help guys... currently sprung over with superlift 3.5" springs and plan to run the BDS once i finish warping these superlifts.... i do have axle wrap but it takes me about 2 yrs of driving/wheeling for it to show (i am on the street most of the time)

question about gearing real quick... jeepnguns, you are running 5.89's? i was thinking that 5.38 was the highest (numerical) gear i could use on the high pinion d44 i'm running up front... so 5.89 is?
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 08-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
jeepnguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
thanks for the help guys... currently sprung over with superlift 3.5" springs and plan to run the BDS once i finish warping these superlifts.... i do have axle wrap but it takes me about 2 yrs of driving/wheeling for it to show (i am on the street most of the time)

question about gearing real quick... jeepnguns, you are running 5.89's? i was thinking that 5.38 was the highest (numerical) gear i could use on the high pinion d44 i'm running up front... so 5.89 is?
For the high pinion the lowest gear set is 5.38 or something like that. I have standard 44s both front and rear so I was able to get down to 5.89.

5.89s with no overdrive sucks on the highway. Off road it is great though.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for clarifying that.... helps a lot since i thought i had found the highest numerical gears to be 5.38 for my setup.

hoping others will chime in with other aspects of the build.... we'll see

-Erik <--- anxious to get this DONE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.