JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Help with crank pos sensor (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/help-crank-pos-sensor-1524862/)

epettit 05-17-2013 10:07 PM

Help with crank pos sensor

I need a little advise .... I recently put the 4.0 head and fuel injection system (ODB1)on my 4.2 and it has run great. Recently after I have turned it off and let it sit a while it would crank but not start. I would shoot a little freeze it on the Cps and it would fire right up.

I have heard not to run a Cps other then jeep so I purchased a factory CPS from jeep and low and behold it would not start after I went to leave after driving out for lunch.

I was curious why heat causes these to fail and can they be insulated?? Is there another brand to try?

Any help would be appreciated

epettit 05-18-2013 01:12 PM

Any help out there?

laybackman 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epettit (Post 15447844)
I need a little advise .... I recently put the 4.0 head and fuel injection system (ODB1)on my 4.2 and it has run great. Recently after I have turned it off and let it sit a while it would crank but not start. I would shoot a little freeze it on the Cps and it would fire right up.

I have heard not to run a Cps other then jeep so I purchased a factory CPS from jeep and low and behold it would not start after I went to leave after driving out for lunch.

I was curious why heat causes these to fail and can they be insulated?? Is there another brand to try?

Are you running a header? They generate more heat. Wrap the CKP wiring in several layers of aluminum tin foil and see if that helps.

epettit 05-20-2013 09:15 PM

I am running the factory 4.0 header... But will give it a go. If that does not work I might get an old one from pull apart

idaholtby 05-20-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epettit (Post 15447844)

How long has this rig ran with the new set up? Has it ran fine and now this is a new issue? What model year 4.0L ECM are you using for the MPFI? Sorry for all the questions, just need more info before formulating a possible answer. Oh and for clarity, when you say CPS, you are referring to the crank position sensor and not the camshaft position sensor in the distributer?

epettit 05-20-2013 09:44 PM

Yes it is the crank pos sensor.... The whole setup is out of a 91 Cherokee . It ran for a couple of weeks with no issues but the weather is warming up.

It seams to fail when it's sits for a while and heat soaks the sensor. If you let it cool or hit it with a little freeze it and it fires right up

The time now is 10:24 PM.