Help!!!!! Clutch problem!!!!????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help!!!!! Clutch problem!!!!?????

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
DAjeep88

Help!!!!! Clutch problem!!!!?????

Alright Jeepers i have ran into a problem my 1988 JEEP WRANGLER YJ 5 SPEED MANUAL. IT has been acting up. About 2 days ago when i was on the express way (stop and go traffic) I started to hear this loud screeching, rattling, noise come from under my Jeep.It only happens when I press on the clutch and put it into gear, but once in gear it runs fine. yes i am able to shift into all gears and like i said this loud noise only happens when i press down on the clutch it literally shakes the whole jeep. By the way the engine is running very smooth...WHAT COULD THIS NOISE BE????
*******SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!******

Last edited by DAjeep88; 02-12-2013 at 09:23 AM..
DAjeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First off I would like to know how you got a 98 yj as they stopped making yjs in 95. But as for your problem, it's the throw out bearing. You would have to drop your tranny to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Me thinks he means 88 as per his signature but....yep throw out bearing, while you have it down may want to look at more fixes since half the labor is in dropping it.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72
Me thinks he means 88 as per his signature but....yep throw out bearing, while you have it down may want to look at more fixes since half the labor is in dropping it.
Ah, I cannot see that info on my phone. And I agree, if cash permitting, a clutch job wouldn't hurt.

Unread 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Throw out bearing without a doubt. simple fix. You should be able to do it over a weekend with the right tools.
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get an inverted torx bit, e12. It's at the top of the bell housing, real pita, also universals for your sockets will help.

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
First off I would like to know how you got a 98 yj as they stopped making yjs in 95. But as for your problem, it's the throw out bearing. You would have to drop your tranny to replace it.

Yes my bad I did mean 88 , but anyway if I need to replace it then what clutch kit do you guys recommend? I want to do this right once if you know what I mean.
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
DAjeep88

Also do you guys know any helpful links or step by step instructions to fix this problem? It would be greatly appreciated
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the FAQ has a writeup on replacing the slave cylinder. The throwout bearing is an integral part of the internal slave. Here is a writeup on a swap, but it has the basic info needed on dropping the transmission and everything after that is just putting it back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/

As for clutch kits, Luk comes with the highest recomendations from Mean Max. I wouldn't go any other way.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
DAjeep88

Thanks Berniebikes! So how hard of a job is it? Im a reasonably mechanically inclined guy is this worth my trouble or should I just take it to a shop?
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you can remove and install bolts and line up the clutch plate with the tool that comes with the clutch you can handle it. There are no special tools needed.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

do it yourself. not too tough. Borrow or rent a transmission jack to steady things. Make certain that you have a jack stand, not a bottle jack or some other type of jack, under your engine to hold it in place when you remove the transmission or the engine will rotate and tear up your front clip, radiator and other stuff. you will likely have some difficulty in getting the top bolts out of the top of the bell housing. I ended up reaching them from the inside after removing the covers off of the shifters. when everthing is apart it might be a good time to replace all the fluids in your tranny and transfer case. Other than that, no special tools needed beyond sockets and wrenches, and maybe a torx bit if the original top bolts are in your bell housing (most people replace them with standard bolts after the first removal) You will need a torque wrench for the clutch, but other than that very straight forward.

Edit: first time I did it took me better part of the day to drop the tranny and put it back. I went very slowly and methodically, cleaned everything with a pressure washer when I got it down, and put it all back together.

Second time I did it, to replace the input seal on my tranny and stop a leak, had it down, seal done, and tranny back in within a half day, including the time it took me to repair a stripped hole on my bell housing.
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
DAjeep88

Thanks alot guys! Im going to give it a go this weekend and ill post how everything went ...so you guys recommend me replacing the whole clutch altogether instead of just the throw out bearing right?
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on the condition of your clutch plates. If they are well worn and may need replacing in not too many miles, then absolutely. If the plates are near new, why waste the money? It will be a matter of judgment on your part when you open things up
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
DAjeep88

Okay will do thanks again ill follow up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.