Help! Broken turn signal arm (wiper control) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Broken turn signal arm (wiper control)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
mbg75
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help! Broken turn signal arm (wiper control)

i have a 95 wrangler. My turn signal arm broke off inside the column. it slides back in, but i now have no wiper control except mist (when i turn the inner piece forward). The outter part of the arm has a metal rod which goes into the column to turn on the wipers, This is what broke off.

Are the parts avaliable?

What is involved with changing them?

thanks in advance for help!

mike

mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had this happen once. Go to the dealership and get a new control arm, it's only like $15. Pull off your steering wheel and then the horn button and then there will be a few screws holding in the actual wiper and turn signal controls. Fish out the last piece of the old arm, put it all back together and slip the new arm in.
Unread 10-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
mbg75
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow, that was fast!

Thank you for the info!
mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Here is a good link about taking the column apart. It is for an older one but they did use the same parts over the years.

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
bcwheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is no need to take the column apart.. since you cant reach into the hole and grab the broken off peice thats still inserted into the column, I drilled a tiny hole into the peice and threaded in a screw (make sure it gets a good bite) then i could grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pulled the broken off peice out. The new lever simple pushs right in.
bcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
bcwheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also I got a new lever from the junkyard for 5$ out of a 91ish chevy pickup, they use the exact same lever.
bcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
SydPat2009
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks bcwheeler, your advice was perfect. drilled into the broken piece, got a screw into it and pulled it right out. Took about 10 mins. Got the new part on Autozone.com for $10.99. Awesome.
SydPat2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine broke off on my '90 YJ. I can't get the broken piece out! I tried to drill it out and use a screw to pull it out, but that didn't work. so I tried an easy-out and that damn thing broke off inside the hole I drilled. Now I can't redrill it. I pulled the column off to try to get the piece out. I got everything off (hanging from the wires) but I still can't get the piece out. it's really in there good. Any ideas? I'm I doing something wrong? I thought it just pulled out? Does it have to be lined up or something? Any help would be appreciated. Please someone/anyone respond! :-) Thanks in advance.....
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
DAVE4273
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It should just pull out if you can get a hold of it, the new one just slides in. Autozone has em hanging on the shelf in the HELP section. Funny too its the exact part.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.