Help Automatic transmisssion popping out of park - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Automatic transmisssion popping out of park

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help Automatic transmisssion popping out of park

background
1995 Jeep 4.0 Auto 32rh
200,000 plus miles

Symptoms
Jeep started having trouble starting had to jiggle the shift knob to get it to start
it Just started not to engage the tranny lock when parking the Jeep on a drive way. It would start to roll backwards. I have to take it out of park back to drive then back to park and it will lock the tranny on the driveway.

I am concerned this may become a safety issue with the Jeep. The parking brake is now my best friend....

bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
rdc401

Adjust your linkage it is up under the hood close to the steering shaft. It has a rod sticking down and has a square block on the rod with a bolt on it to keep it from slipping.
Loosening the bolt make sure the transmission is in park.than make sure you have the column shifter in park and tighten up the bolt.you may have to adjust it a little to get it right,but it is not hard
rdc401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Ford73
1985 CJ7 

Could be a number of things but always better to start simple. Good place to start making sure you shift cable isn't loose and you are actually shifting in another gear. If you put it in park and let it roll will it eventually catch itself?
Ford73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

RDC I will check your idea out.

Ford73 it rolled back about 8 to 10 feet when I tried this and it never caught. I will try it later and see if it will finally catch.

One note I do not seem to have any other issue fluid gets changed every year and it has an extra cooler installed.
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I found my motor mount on the passenger side sheared off from the block.
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Brown Dog lower motor mounts will be my fix. You can not go wrong with Brown Dog. I just got off the phone with Brown Dog and he is taking care of me. This is customer service at it finest. Other companies can learn a few things from Brown Dog!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can see how that would move the drivetrain enough to bind up the linkage to not hold. I love my brown dogs as well. are you getting the full bracket?
The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered the passenger lower motor mount, I currently have the upper motor mounts and when my budget premits I will get the driver side lower.

My thought process on this is fix the lower motor mount. Then chase after the tranny issue.
Unread 01-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the passenger side lower motor mount and it seems like my tranny is going into park correctly. I have not had a starting issue and when placed in park the tranny has held me in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.