Help adjusting Carter carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help adjusting Carter carb

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Help adjusting Carter carb

Before anybody says "replace it with a Motorcraft or a Weber" my carb runs solid. I'm looking for some help in adjusting it. It's nuttered already, and I've had the idle adjusted. High idle is 1800 and low idle is between 600-700. The idles hold very nicely. What I'm looking for is how to adjust the air-fuel mixture. I have a bit of a fuel smell, so I know she's running rich.

Can someone help me out with an image of the carb and exactly what screws I should be adjusting?

I was told by a mechanic ---- adjust the air down to where the engine just about wants to stall (super lean), then bring it back to where it idles smoothly. I'm just not 100% certain of what screw to turn what direction.

Thanks in advance.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I fiddled with mine quite a bit post-nutter to try and get the dang thing to pass emissions. There's two screws down by the mounting plate, one for each barrel that adjust the air fuel mixture. Problem is depends where you left the pins when you nuttered it as to how much adjustment you have. I gave up and put the Howell FI kit on mine.... drives like a whole new vehicle!
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Get a hold of a vacuum gauge. Adjust the 2 idle mixture screws to obtain max vacuum reading, then turh in 1/4 turn. Both screws should be within 1/2 turn of each other from bottomed out.

Check well for vacuum leaks at the base of the carb and intake manifold to head area(spray carb cleaner at suspect area, leak will cause idle speed change)
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You'll find the mixture screws on the throttle plate within square housings, facing to the front of the vehicle. If the Carter you have is factory and hasn't been messed with, then the idle screws (#64 at bottom of diagram) may still be plugged (by #62 in diagram). If so, you need to carefully drill out the plugs to get to the screws.

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.