HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-11-2001, 09:37 PM   #1
Rockwall

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was dirving today when my jeep started to make like a whisling noise lood and clear. it used to do it rarely but not all the time when its cold. it seems to start only at 2500rpms and stops when i press on the clutch
it very loud sounds like a hiss or a scream
or even wind in a whisle. some people sais it was the clutch bearing does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Rockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2001, 11:26 PM   #2
Dan94YJ

Sounds like the throw out bearing - I had the same problem in my '85 CJ-7. But check all your options, no need to replace good parts - save the money for upgrades!
Unread 11-11-2001, 11:32 PM   #3
Ruftags

Unhappily, I would have to agree with your friends. Everything I looked up pionts to that area. 1.)Release bearing binding on transmission shaft, 2.)Pilot bushing worn, 3.)Clutch rivets loose, 4.)clutch plate cracked, 5.)fatigued clutch plate torsion springs. Finally if your real lucky maybe the pedal needs to be adjusted for free play. On my Ford Ranger I had a very similar noise that turned out to be the pilot bearing. Good Luck.
Unread 11-12-2001, 03:06 AM   #4
hardoncj5

don't forget to check the belts before you go nuts with the rest
hardoncj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2001, 03:47 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just changed out my throwout bearing .. it was a fairly easy job to do on my Peogot tranny behind my 4.2l engine .. having a spare pair of arms really helps!

I picked up the new bearing from Autovalue for $160, and with the help of a friend had it completed in about 4 hours time.

First thing to do is remove the shift levers.
Second is remove the drive shafts
Third is the starter
Fourth is to setup a rack to hold the weight of the tcase (2x4's would do the trick) and use tie-down straps to hold it.
Fifth is remove the hoses, lines, wires, etc
Sixth is the removal of a couple bolts holding the tranny to the engine
7th is remove the throwout assembly and replace ..

It takes some time, but the effort is not too high.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.