Help with 8.8 perch install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with 8.8 perch install

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Help with 8.8 perch install

This may seen rediculous, but how do I figure out where to weld the spring perches SUA on my 8.8?
Does somebody have the dimensions for them from the center section?

Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
This may seen rediculous, but how do I figure out where to weld the spring perches SUA on my 8.8?
Do you have your dana35 still? take measurements off that. I think spring perch width is in the FAQ above.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Do you have your dana35 still? take measurements off that. I think spring perch width is in the FAQ above.
So I can measure from my D35 center section to perch and be okay?
I was assuming that since the pinion was offset that I couldn't.
Thanks!

Unread 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you need to have the proper width, proper centering and most important proper location for pinion angle.

don't be in a hurry.

start reading here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
you need to have the proper width, proper centering and most important proper location for pinion angle.

don't be in a hurry.

start reading here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/
I know about the pinion angle setup, just wondering about the distance from the pumpkin.
I have read that link.
The best answer I get from that is moving 9/16th's out board.
Is that the same for both sides?

Unread 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I can measure from my D35 center section to perch and be okay?
I was assuming that since the pinion was offset that I couldn't.
Thanks!
No. you cant. I did this swap on my own. my width was fine but my pinion angle was wrong after it was welded. I spend a lot of time reading about 8.8 swaps. I used the angle finder and set it as most write-ups say it should be. it was wrong. call a buddy that has swapped axles before. takes too much time if you go it alone and are wrong, trust me.
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know about the pinion angle setup, just wondering about the distance from the pumpkin.
I have read that link.
The best answer I get from that is moving 9/16th's out board.
Is that the same for both sides?
you are trying to measure off the wrong place. measure from the backing plates in to find the right width. dont measure off the pumpkin.
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
themoz

Just set the jeep on the axle as centered as you can so everything sits the way it wants to. With everything on there...tires, perches, u-bolts, etc. Then tighten the u bolts just enough to keep the pinion from flopping onto the floor under its own weight. You can then kinda tap the perches around with a mallet until its centered perfectly (its easier than it sounds trust me) Then set your pinion angle. Light tapping w/ a mallet to rotate it up or down is all it takes as long as the ubolts are just tight enough to hold things in place. Then recheck side-to-side measurements one more time and recheck pinion angle one final time if you had to make any adjustments to the perches again. Tack the perches in place then pull the axle back out and finish welding them up.

I did all this, then stopped and ordered the shaft to length, and then installed the shaft before tacking anything in place. Very easy.
themoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The best answer I get from that is moving 9/16th's out board. Is that the same for both sides?
Yes, 9/16's out from the original 8.8 perch, each side. If you've already cut them off and ground everything smooth,,,,, I think there's a write up on Stu Olson's site with measurements.

EDIT: Here... http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm This is for a TJ, but has the 8.8 measurements, you can compare those to the D35 if you already cut off the stock 8.8 stuff.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not hard to do this. If your spring under, get the axle sitting on top of the springs. Put the purches on the springs, then set axle on the perches. Measure from the backing plates to springs. Make this measurement the same on both sides. Put ubolts and spring plates on, and snug them up. Put jack stands und er the axle tubes and put the weight of the jeep on the axle. Use a floor jack on the pinion flange to raise the pinion to the correct angle. When its there, tack the spring perches to the axle. Remove the plates and ubolts, and weld it in.

Just be sure to use big tack welds so you don't break them when you move the axle for final welding.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Not hard to do this. If your spring under, get the axle sitting on top of the springs. Put the purches on the springs, then set axle on the perches. Measure from the backing plates to springs. Make this measurement the same on both sides. Put ubolts and spring plates on, and snug them up. Put jack stands und er the axle tubes and put the weight of the jeep on the axle. Use a floor jack on the pinion flange to raise the pinion to the correct angle. When its there, tack the spring perches to the axle. Remove the plates and ubolts, and weld it in.

Just be sure to use big tack welds so you don't break them when you move the axle for final welding.
thats just about ow i did it last weekend. believe me its not that bad. heck, i set everything up on the jeep, measured 4 times, marked the spring perches and shock tabs with a paint pen. Then i took the axle out put it in my tuck drove to dads house and we welded everything up. Went back to the shop and everything dropped in place.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

EXACTLY what notmyj said. This is not something to do outside the Jeep. Set it up underneath and get all of your measurements and angles right and tack weld the perches to the tubes. Then you can either weld it out in place or take it out and weld it on stands.

- NRA Life Member - Licensed to Carry and Do.
DaveinHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No need for dimensions.
Hopefully, you've not cut off the old 8.8 fac. perch's yet. If not, then there is no need to do all the extra measurements and trying to center the diff/axle.
Simply measure out 9/16" (out meaning towards the hub/wheel) from the old fac. perch and mark the spot with something that won't get erased. I used a hacksaw and scribed a line. Cut off your old perchs. Mock up axle with new perchs set on these marks. Since the 8.8 is 1.25" shorter than the turdy 5, moving each perch out 9/16" will put it spot on. Set your pinion and you're done!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That us what I did, plus check it from the frame to the backing plates. Did it over and over until I was happy. Than I did the pinion angle. Tacked everything and rechecked everything again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.