Help with 5.2 Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with 5.2 Swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Once my swap is done, I'll be compiling a list of part numbers, prices, and sources if I can remember all of them. The prices would just be a general reference to give people an idea as to how much it'll cost.

Once I've completed that document, I'll start going over everything with everybody else who has done the swap and post what they're comfortable with.

After that will be a section for things to look out for, little tricks to do, and things to get around. Along with all that will be a complete history on the 318/360 engines and what types there are, along with what vehicles they came with and what transmissions came behind them. It's a long arduous process, but if it helps out a lot of people in the future, I'll be happy. That's the whole reason I'm wanting do it.

My intention for that group is to create a 5.2/5.9 magnum swap how to guide. Link it, tell people to read thread x, and all the info they should need is in there.
I'll be glad to contribute what I can to a guide. That would be an awesome resource for future swappers.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post

I'll be glad to contribute what I can to a guide. That would be an awesome resource for future swappers.
Sweet thanks guys us who are doing this swap will really appreciate it. I will gladly contribute what I can when I get started and plan to document it very well in my build thread.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b210gx View Post
......One thing i noticed is that for every good piece of information online there is the same amount of "no" information or bad information......The other thing i learned is there are minute differences between early model AX-15 and late model AX-15's....
Can you elaborate on the AX15 comment? I am about to put an "unknown" AX15 in my '91 YJ that is likely to have come from a Cherokee mid-nineties but I also have a AX15 from a mid-90s YJ.

RE: "bad information" - you mean like the advice that I got that went along the lines of AX15 has a steel/magnetic center plate, AX5 is aluminum? Well, the two AX15s I have contain aluminum center plates, and the AX5 out of my '91 has a rusty steel center plate. Opposite of what I was told LOL!
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The differences
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The difference I was referring to was in the pilot tip. The tip of the output shaft that goes into the pilot bearing. The earlier ax-15's had a smaller pilot tip.
The other difference is in the throw out bearing. If you have a 1991 than you should have an internal slave cylinder/throw out combo. The later ax-15 designed for the external slave have a different bellhousing and a different front bearing retainer. That is the part that bolts over the output shaft. The bearing retainer designed for the throw out bearing has a sleeve attached to it for the newly designed throw out bearing to attach to.
I think that's it. If I remember more I will post it.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Hater
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IM currently collecting parts for this swap, using a NV3550 with a 5.2L AX15 belhousing.

I tried to sub here with my normal username, but it seems 2xs has been taken, so:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/2xss...ad-101879.html

Ignore the GM swap stuff... and slice you already have your engine started, you are far ahead of me.

-Subbed
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The later (larger) pilot tip is the same size that was used on the dodge 5-speed, so you can use a stock Dodge pilot bearing. If you have the earlier (small) pilot then it gets a little more creative,what I did was to buy a Dodge pilot bearing. It uses a sleeve that presses into the crank and the bearing presses into that so I had the sleeve machined to fit the early yj pilot bearing that has a larger outer diameter but a smaller inner diameter thus retaining the use of a stock yj pilot for ease of replacement parts. It cost me $20 at the machine shop.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.