Help with 5.2 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with 5.2 Swap

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Help with 5.2 Swap

Ok guys. here it is. I am in the middle (well almost the end) of a wrangler 5.2 swap. I have finally hit a wall that i need help getting over, so i turn to you guys for help. I need a computer.
Here is what i have done thus far...
Started out with 1991 Jeep wrangler 4.0 HO manual Tranmission.
Engine out of 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Bell housing swap to retain AX-15
Custom wiring.
(once the swap works i will provide a detailed swap account.)
Etc.
I ordered an ECM for a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2l manual trans 4x4. The computer they sent me plugged in normally as would be expected. Turned the key, starter engaged 3 seconds of cranking and the engine fired. Engine had several missfires and wouldnt idle. After several hours of diagnostics it was determined the PCM was bad. The PCM had 8 codes stored one of which was a code 53 for internal engine controller failure.
So i sent the computer back. They internally diagnosed it and found that the processor had failed. Unfortunatly they did not have another unit to send me.
So i went to the local pull a part and got an ECM out of a 1994 jeep grand cherokee.
As would be expected the engine starts and stalls due to the security system on board. (Or little fairys that hate me enough to stone wall my progress)
I have spent hours searching but have been unable to find an ECM. I am figuring that i must be missing something. I know people are doing this swap and i have seen the video proof. But i cannot get over this wall.
To the point - does anybody know where i can get an ECM either new or used? Or does anybody know where i can have the ECM for the Grand Cherokee flashed to work.
Idealy i need a manual tranmission computer, however would settle easily for a automatic ECM to get this project going.
Thank you for any information.

Oh and ill hit this now because it seems to be a hot point with the 5.2 swap. I have done nothing to my front or rear diffs. Yes they will likely cease to work. Yes i will adress that problem when it arises.

Thanks again guys.

b210gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

Also very curious about this, Ill be standing by and following.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would imagine there is somwhere you can send the ECM you currently have to get flashed to get rid of the security problem...?
My first call would be to www.Hesco.us . I have heard of performace shops flashing them to rid them of the securtiy problems.
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd since this will most likely be my hang up to. Please report back and i will do the same if u find anything out myself.
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I found a used one out of a salvage yard in Texas through the website "car-part.com". I am kind of kicking myself because this is the site i used to find the dakota bellhousing when i ran out of options. I should have just started here for the ECM.

SHOOT3R - i subscribed to your build thread. Disregard the post in there.
skyj - i will post in here when i know if it works or not.
The new computer should arrive on thursday.

For those of you doing research, or starting the swap i will post a detailed report of mine once i know the report is accurate i.e everything works.
I found out alot of information throuought the course of this build and tried to record it as i went. One thing i noticed is that for every good piece of information online there is the same amount of "no" information or bad information.
The swap is not hard, but can be time consuming.
The other thing i learned is there are minute differences between early model AX-15 and late model AX-15's. Also the crank end of the V8's had minor differences too as it relates to the pilot bearing/bushing. This means that what worked for one individual in the pilot bearing department is not an end all or die hard solution for everyone.
Also this applies for the clutch as well. Some people say to use the stock clutch set up - didnt work in my case.
Some people say to use the stock wrangler master and slave combo - when i had the engine running, albeit, roughly - the clutch did not work so i know this piece of information to also not apply to me. (i know thwe system was bleed properly through diagnostics)
Its not that other people are right or wrong, its that the circumstances were slightly different yielding a different outcome.
All that to say, be patient, take your time, and know that it wil work, eventually. At least thats what i keep telling myself.
Thanks for the information.
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

chris@christuned.com OBD1 and 2
flyinryanporting@gmail.com OBD2 only

contact these guys. They can fix and recal your ECM.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thats great information jsawduste. If the ECM i ordered doesn't work at least i have a backup plan. Thats exactly what i was looking for.
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

www.car-part.com

Also, contact any one of these guys for your question, or any other questions you may have. They've all done this swap, and I'm pretty much done with mine. Just need the wiring and PCM.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...-v8-yj-owners/

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
b210gx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update...
ECM i ordered from car-part.com ws the ticket. Fired right up and idles all on its own. Praise the Lord.
Now i have two more issue to figure out - exhaust leak, and clutch operation.

Thanks for all the help.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b210gx View Post
Update...
ECM i ordered from car-part.com ws the ticket. Fired right up and idles all on its own. Praise the Lord.

Thanks for all the help.
Congrsts dude!! bummer about the clutch though let us know how it goes.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b210gx View Post
Update...

Thanks for all the help.
Thankfully those are easier to figure out than electrical problems.

Still not enough power.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
gtndrty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't appear there's much activity in the v8 yj owners group. Have any of the guys that have done the 5.2/5.9 swap compiled a list of tips, tricks, or must have parts? I've been reading a lot on the swap but its a lot of info scattered thru numerous threads & different forums. I have a 96 grand Cherokee with a 5.2 for a donor but still need a lot of parts.
gtndrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtndrty View Post
It doesn't appear there's much activity in the v8 yj owners group. Have any of the guys that have done the 5.2/5.9 swap compiled a list of tips, tricks, or must have parts? I've been reading a lot on the swap but its a lot of info scattered thru numerous threads & different forums. I have a 96 grand Cherokee with a 5.2 for a donor but still need a lot of parts.
I have been studying moparfreaks thread on his swap and his has been the one I have found to be the one that is the most complete and informative. He is also an outstanding person to ask questions. hope that helps.
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This ^^^

The biggest thing I have to keep telling myself, is that it has been done before and that my jeep will run again. Also keep posting and reading on JF to get opinions and info.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Once my swap is done, I'll be compiling a list of part numbers, prices, and sources if I can remember all of them. The prices would just be a general reference to give people an idea as to how much it'll cost.

Once I've completed that document, I'll start going over everything with everybody else who has done the swap and post what they're comfortable with.

After that will be a section for things to look out for, little tricks to do, and things to get around. Along with all that will be a complete history on the 318/360 engines and what types there are, along with what vehicles they came with and what transmissions came behind them. It's a long arduous process, but if it helps out a lot of people in the future, I'll be happy. That's the whole reason I'm wanting do it.

My intention for that group is to create a 5.2/5.9 magnum swap how to guide. Link it, tell people to read thread x, and all the info they should need is in there.

Still not enough power.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.