Help with 4.0 swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with 4.0 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #31
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am having trouble finding the connector you're talking about in the FSM. It's 77MB, any way you know of that I can get it to you?

Unread 09-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Found if I jump the auto shutdown relay like the picture shows it will start.

forumrunner_20120918_173045.jpg

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I just finished drawing up my own wiring diagram of the 10 pin bulkhead connector. By going to 8 different diagrams and assembling my own so all pins/wires are identified on one page with page numbers so I can easily go to each circuit.

forumrunner_20120918_221018.jpg

Tomorrow I will see if my wires match up to this diagram.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #34
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That was the connector I was trying to have you find when Jsawduste and I were trying to talk you through the issue. If you have a camera phone take come pics of the connectors before and after you swap them out. The 2 pins that we were discussing were G4 and A5 that didnt match up.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
That was the connector I was trying to have you find when Jsawduste and I were trying to talk you through the issue. If you have a camera phone take come pics of the connectors before and after you swap them out. The 2 pins that we were discussing were G4 and A5 that didnt match up.
The wires through this plug are not for the ignition except the #4 (red) which provides power only. All the other wires are for ac and gauges/sensors. I tracked back and found that i have to go to the bulkhead connector behind the fuse box to chase that yellow wire for the key start. Will be working on that later today after I am done running errands.

My issue seems to be pointing to the ecm through all my tests and tracing ... but I still have more testing and tracing before I make that as a final conclusion and go find one.

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ecu is fine. If you don't get power to pins 3 and 9 on the ecu it is not going to start. That is the problem. G4 and A5.
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The ecu is fine. If you don't get power to pins 3 and 9 on the ecu it is not going to start. That is the problem. G4 and A5.
That is on the large bulkhead connector above the ecm and not the 10 pin the diagram is from correct?

Unread 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #38
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the large bulkhead connector.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...ouble-1336607/
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #39
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
With a quick check of this I have found several wires that are not correlating to between the 92 (engine side) and 94 (Jeep side). I have just been busy doing other stuff so I hadn't gotten to it yet.

Currently, I have both engine harnesses (92 & 94) laid out in the garage and will be making diagram to find out exactly which wires are wrong between the 2.

Then, I will be doing the same thing with the bulkhead connectors (on the 92 I have just the bulkhead connector/fuse box as all the wires had been cut but they left enough for me to see the wiring colors but no full harness)

After completing all of that I will try to figure out the best solution to create a single working harness and diagram that best matches what I need.

Does this sound like a logical approach?

Cross your fingers for me.

Unread 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #40
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could just get a 93-95 harness and it would just button right up for well under $100
Unread 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You could just get a 93-95 harness and it would just button right up for well under $100
hmmmmmm... that may be an option ... I will have to search for it though as the JY's here are not very friendly over the phone and most of the crap is all cut up as no one cares about the wires.

HELP Does anyone have a 93-95 harness for a 4.0 - AX15 combo?????

Unread 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #42
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

810 650 3206 chris. Call or text. He will have it. Tell him I sent you. Make sure you specify year.
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
810 650 3206 chris. Call or text. He will have it. Tell him I sent you. Make sure you specify year.
He has one, I will be getting it as that will make life easier.... hopefully that will fix all my wiring problems ....

oh will the ecm work or will I need a new one too?

Unread 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #44
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Let me know what you find out. I would love to replace my spliced harness with something plug and play.
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the ecu will work and he has multiple harnesses. Both of you get in touch with him and tell him I sent you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.