Help with 4.0 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with 4.0 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKwranglerYJ View Post
Well yesterday I worked a little on the engine and got to looking. To me it looks like they designed the driver side to be either Yj or Cherokee and they just drilled the hole in a different spot. So what would keep me from just drilling a new hole to fit where I need it.
You can certainly try it. As stated above it may weaken it a little but I think it's worth at least testing out.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure how much you have accomplished yet. I am in the middle of this myself

The motor mounts are the same, however the frame mounts from the 2.5 can be used by removing them and the modifying the passenger side one with a plate to extend it further toward the engine. You will remove the "up lift block thingy" from the 2.5 and not reuse it.
motor-mount-pass-side-.jpg   motor-mount-passenger-side.jpg  

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cool that gives me more options. Right now I'm just collecting parts and getting the brackets off the 4.0. I also fished out the 5th and 6th injector wires out of the xj and I just purchased the ax-15 transmission bracket off eBay. All I need now it to go pick up my trans when I get some money.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am doing the same swap as you. Mine is all in, but I am having problems with the electrical system.

I am using the 4.0 harness under the hood and the 2.5 inside. Today, I found the ignition wire (yellow one off the steering column to the 10 pin plug) from the inside is not on the outside so I have a rigged wire for now.

Everything electrical is now working, but it still has no spark.

Today I removed a few extra wires

forumrunner_20120916_191251.jpg

Here is what I have now.

forumrunner_20120916_191101.jpg

After I get it up and running I will be re-wrapping it all nice and neat but until then it will look like a total mess.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 09-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm keeping the 2.5 harness inside and out and just adding the extra injector wires into my harness. I hope it goes well for you mrmark. I should be starting mine in a couple of weeks
Unread 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm keeping the 2.5 harness inside and out and just adding the extra injector wires into my harness. I hope it goes well for you mrmark. I should be starting mine in a couple of weeks
Don't you also need to change the computer to the 6 cyl one and run the injector wires all the way there?

I had the entire 6 cyl wiring harness and I was informed that they should just be plug and play. So far they are, except for the one wire I found missing, but since I am not an electrical wizard in order to figure it out I had to trace all the wires. But, with that I am cleaning it all up and removing the wires I don't need. I will also wire in all my aftermarket accessories so it is all neat and clean.

Unread 09-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was told I can use the 4.0 ecu from the xj and just run the new wires. The 5th injectors go to pin 38 and the 6th goes to pin 58. The wiring was a concern for me but Que kinda made me feel like I have it under control.
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I was told I can use the 4.0 ecu from the xj and just run the new wires. The 5th injectors go to pin 38 and the 6th goes to pin 58. The wiring was a concern for me but Que kinda made me feel like I have it under control.
Que is genius, he has helped me a whole bunch

Unread 09-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL is that wiring or spagetti? What is your fuse block doing outside the Jeep? Honestly it will work better if you keep it inside.
Wiring isn't that bad. You just have to remember to keep the smoke in. Once it gets out, no matter how hard I've tried, I have never been able to put it back in!
For those 2 extra wires you can scvenge them off of any 91-95 Chrysler from a scrap yard. Its the easiest way.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am power testing it as per John and removed all the crap wires. Now, I have to rewrap and reinstall in under the dash as I have everything working like before.

Still there is no check engine light and no spark, but now I do have the key turning the starter over. So, I am basically back to where I was before I removed the harness.

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #26
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
I am power testing it as per John and removed all the crap wires. Now, I have to rewrap and reinstall in under the dash as I have everything working like before.

Still there is no check engine light and no spark, but now I do have the key turning the starter over. So, I am basically back to where I was before I removed the harness.
I have a question for you. Did the donor XJ hace a security alarm? If so, then you will need to trick the computer into thinking that it still has one. You will need to locate the purple and white twisted pair of wires on the PCM, located on pins 26 and 46. Cut and splice these together. This will complete the security feature circuit. This was one of the problems that I had when I tried getting the Basket Case to start.

This may not be the case, but this is another option to look into. Good luck!
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I have a question for you. Did the donor XJ hace a security alarm? If so, then you will need to trick the computer into thinking that it still has one. You will need to locate the purple and white twisted pair of wires on the PCM, located on pins 26 and 46. Cut and splice these together. This will complete the security feature circuit. This was one of the problems that I had when I tried getting the Basket Case to start.

This may not be the case, but this is another option to look into. Good luck!
I am using a 92 YJ engine/tranny/wiring harness not from an XJ...

I think I have tracked down the problem to the 10 pin bulkhead wiring harness. Que says A-5 and G-5 are issues with this, but not being a wiring expert (actually I am a wiring virgin) I need to see the wires locations. So, now I am in need of a diagram of the 92 4.0 10 pin and the 94 2.5 10 pin bulkhead harnesses. (can anyone help me with this ???? ) I have the 93 from Morris 4X4's website, but I really need to get both actual year harness diagrams so I can see where the difference is.

Unread 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I had forgot. I have been following a few threads lately so I had gotten mixed up.
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post

I think I have tracked down the problem to the 10 pin bulkhead wiring harness. Que says A-5 and G-5 are issues with this, but not being a wiring expert (actually I am a wiring virgin) I need to see the wires locations. So, now I am in need of a diagram of the 92 4.0 10 pin and the 94 2.5 10 pin bulkhead harnesses. (can anyone help me with this ???? ) I have the 93 from Morris 4X4's website, but I really need to get both actual year harness diagrams so I can see where the difference is.
Here's what I found for the YJ bulkhead for 94 on my flash drive.
94-bulkhead.jpg  
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph_rapture

Here's what I found for the YJ bulkhead for 94 on my flash drive.
I have this one, i need the 10 pin that comes through the firewall above the tranny

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.