help with 1990 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help with 1990 yj

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

help with 1990 yj

so i am helping my brother look for a yj (his first car) and i found one about an hour away. here is the link just so you guys can look at it http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3186261739.html

now as you can see the guy mentions a crack in the transfer case, is that deal breaker? he says that you can just get it welded, is that a legit fix? should i just buy a new half of a transfer case? or even a whole new one?

any thoughts on what would have caused the crack? anything else that could be damaged or stuff that i should look for? parts in or around or connected to the t-case

what general stuff should i look for on a 1990? anything particular? any basic stuff to look over?

thanks guys

2.5L w/ AX-5, NP231J w/ Rugged Ridge SYE and XJ front driveshaft, open D30 and D35 w/ 4.10 ratio, stock JK 18in wheels w/ Spydertrax 1.25in spacers and 32in toyo at, 2.5in RC lift with .5in shackles(BESRK), rear TJ flares. 8.8 rebuild soon
BIGJoe29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks to be in decent shape at a glance. Of course it depends on why the case cracked. But the good news is the junkyards still have lots of cherokees so the case is not hard to come by.

4cyl or 6cyl? Auto or manual?

Even if it was in CA its whole life check the frame with care looking for rust. Mostly around the steering box and the front and rear spring hangers and shackles.

Make sure the seller gets a legitimate smog cert before you hand over any cash. The transfer case is a pretty simple mechanical fix but the last thing you want it a smog headache. Under CA law the seller must provide a smog cert. People buy vehicles as-is all the time and take the risk but technically under the statute there is no provision in the law for that.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cool thanks, anything i should check under the hood?
2.5L w/ AX-5, NP231J w/ Rugged Ridge SYE and XJ front driveshaft, open D30 and D35 w/ 4.10 ratio, stock JK 18in wheels w/ Spydertrax 1.25in spacers and 32in toyo at, 2.5in RC lift with .5in shackles(BESRK), rear TJ flares. 8.8 rebuild soon
BIGJoe29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the YJ you are looking at has the 4.2L:

The OEM carbureted 4.2L can be a bear to maintain (doesn't help that it is a computer controlled carb and there are "miles" of vacuum lines), but some people get the OEM setup to run well. Mine ran well on the OEM setup for a year after I bought it (which was a few years ago.) Also keep in mind that you cannot swap in an aftermarket carb into the 1990 4.2L if you want to stay smog legal in California. Howell TBI, Mopar MPFI, or an engine swap to a newer year fuel injected engine (like the 4.0L) are the smog legal only options for upgrading the engine performance of the 1990 4.2L YJ.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. Look for the normal things with any used car; clear title, smog, runs and drives ok, battery, rust, leaks and tires.

good luck
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Meet the seller at a smog inspection station and watch as it passes or not. No pass, no sale. This is if the body and frame check out rust free.

As mentioned above, these are a chore to keep smog legal. The fuel injected 4.0 is a much easier power plant to live with in Ca.

Your brother will be happier with a 6 cyl jeep, if it is a 4 banger, keep looking.
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look to bad and they don't really salt the roads around here. Looks like it's been sitting a while due to that transfer-case crack. It could be worth a shot depending on the engine and miles. Mine sat outside in Pinion Hills for over five years without a top on. Took probably 400 to get it running and smogged the first time. It had a knock at 240k on the motor and clearly it wasn't taken care of very well.
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I beat the crap out of my 90 YJ and I haven't cracked anything. I would wonder what happened to cause the crack. He may be "forgetting" to tell you some history.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.