Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help!

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Help!

Help me out guys, I'm a noob. I bought this off a kid and I'm not sure why it won't idle. I cleaned the tubes. It's an 88 wrangler 4.2 5-speed. I'll take a picture of the engine for you guys. I'm thinKing it has to do with the pcv system. Thanks!

Jamie

image-3109257683.jpg

image-3709173255.jpg

jtrascritti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A few more pictures

image-1375970616.jpg

image-792256789.jpg
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can you elaborate on "won't idle"? Rough, stalling, stumbling? What is it doing? Also looks like you are missing the forward vent on the valve cover.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your engine is a 4.2L with the stock Carter BBD Carburetor, but a modified intake. You are missing at least some of the emissions components that the computer uses to run the engine. What I see is missing is the pcv system, the Thermal Electric Switch, the thermal vacuum switch, and the connections to the pulse air system. The eingie was a pre fuel injection system of vacuum lines, switches and sensors that controlled emissions. To understand the engine and these things go here

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

It is entirely possible that your engine has been "nuttered", meaning the ignition system has been modified so that the computer no longer provides control to it or the carburetor. The stock Carter carb has a stepper motor in it that allows the fuel/air mix to vary based upon input from the computer. Once you "nutter" the vehicle, this loop no longer is available to provide control to any of the stuff used for emissions control. Search the frequently asked questions to learn about that. If that is the case, then your engine now has a lot of junk that is no longer of any use and can be removed.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It'll start and then it will just die out, unless I'm on the gas. Not quite sure how else to describe it. It doesn't sputter, timing sounds like it might be off. It sounds fine until it just does out. I've got it idling once or twice for about two minutes. Starts off at around 7 and goes to around 10 after a little bit. Then dies. Smells rich too.

And I'm not sure what's suppose to go there--like I said I'm a noob when it come to this. Just learning as I go.
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bernie, you're right it has been nuttered. What all am I in need of? I can replace what I need to.
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure that it has been nuttered. But it may have been, how could I for sure tell?
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it has been nuttered then everything wired to your computer, and any of the other connections can be removed (this assumes you won't need to have emissions inspections or keep the jeep in stock condition). Go to the Frequently asked questions and read several of the write-ups about nuttering. What you probably need to do to get idling back is to adjust your fuel air mixture needles to the proper position (look down the throat of the carb and you can see them). However, your centrifugal and vacuum advance may be messed up, and you really ought to change your distributor to one that works better than the small cap stock distributor (that one works ok for the stock setup, not so much for the nuttered engine). You can significantly clean up your engine and address your current problems, but you will also need to learn how to tune the carter for nuttered operation and will need to tune your engine for performance and economy. At this point you have some options

-keep the carter and set it up for the nuttered condition, clean out all the stuff from the engine
-change from the carter to an easier to tune and use carb like the motocraft or one of the others
-install a fuel injection system, whether from a kit or from a gm based system

There are advantages and disadvantages of each choice, and of course money gets involved!!!!!

I was in your position over three years ago and chose to pull everything off and throw a weber on. It worked ok, gave good power but I never could tune it the way I wanted. After messing with it for months I yanked it off and went to fuel injection. I would have saved myself 6 months and about $600 if I have made that choice to begin with. My experience may differ from others but with the carb the timing was never right, warm starts were an issue, fuel economy sucked (about 13 mpg) and there was always a smell of gas. Add that to the fact that no one seems to understand carbs around here at garages so I was mostly on my own left me with the idea that I may never get it all figured out.
Good luck and keep us posted.

b
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
jtrascritti
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bernie, I'll look into fuel injectors. Any idea how much one would cost?
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The Howell system, which controls fuel only and not spark, which is widely used costs about $1200. You get the benefit of their support, one stop shopping, and labels certifying EPA compliance.

A gm based system put together by you (essentially sourcing all the parts yourself) which would control both fuel and spark (based upon a gm system the same as the Howell) can be done for around $400 or so. You get the benefit of a spark and fuel system, low cost, but you are on your own with only support offered here and on other forums.

A MPFI system is offered by Mopar, cost is around $3000. You get a top notch system and support for install.

Megasuirt systems are available comparable to the cost of a Howell (can be done for less though), but you need to understand engine management systems and tuning for EFI.

There may be other vendors and products out there, just not aware.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.