Hello from a Newb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hello from a Newb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
4sqrlfury
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hello from a Newb

Well, not really much of a newb, but I am new here and I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I've been reading here for a while, but haven't posted anything yet.

I recently re-inherited my 90 YJ that was my first car in high school back in the mid-90's. I gave it to my brother when I went away to college and in three years I don't know that he so much as checked the oil once and grenaded the motor. When he left for college my parents took the car back and used it as a runabout around town. When my wife and I moved to MO, my dear old mom was petrified that we didn't have a 4wd car for winter and so one day, without warning, it showed up on a truck outside our house.

It's a bone stock, 2.5 5-speed, and I figured it would be a good project. So now with 255k on the clock, it's in pieces in my garage. My parents live on the coast, so it had a little body rust and a leaking winshield frame to go along with crappy paint and four mismatched tires. I'm planning on a cosmetic restoration on a budget, with some mechanical enhancements in the future.

So, short story long, I'm new here. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge, and I'll try to give a little back when I can. I'm by no means an expert, but have had a bit of auto mechanical and restoration experience and can hopefully contribute to the forum in some meaningful way. Wish me luck with the resto!

Adam.

4sqrlfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck! My own Jeep is going to need some work in the future, I got lucky though and there's no body rust and very little frame rust
Unread 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

good luck! especially if U have rust!

oh... and looks like the Chiefs won today!!!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

welcome aboard, and welcome to Mo!
if ye need a hand, there are a few willing idiots, i mean volunteers, in the middle of missouri...

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
4sqrlfury
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
It's good to be here in KC. Fortunately, the rust I've found is exclusively surface rust on only a few parts of the body (corners of the hood, door), so it hasn't been too bad to fix. No frame rust that I can find, so that's nice.

It sounds pretty ghetto, but I'm trying the $50 paint job technique with rustoleum. I've seen some good results guys have gotten on average cars. I've got 4 coats on it now and it looks like it might turn out pretty decent. It's not show car paint, but it'll do for an occasional weekend and winter driver. It does take a little bit more gruntwork to turn out right though. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Martin, I might get some numbers for 'volunteers' from you in the future. I'm looking to throw a lift on it, probably this spring, and may need an extra hand or two.
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the board and to the area.
Give me a yell if ya need help sometime.
I am in the KC area also.
Also come out of a trail run sometime. The closest legal trail is probably Kansas Rock. It has several levels of trails if you want to give it a try.
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
4sqrlfury
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd love to go 'wheeling sometime. Unfortunately it'll likely be the spring before everything is back together and ready to go.

How far is Kansas Rock? It's been a while since I've done much off-road, so I'll likely start with basic trails, but I'm looking forward to it.
Unread 10-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on where you are in the city, it is from under 2 to 2 1/2 hours south at jeep speeds.

Has trails from very easy to very hard. Most are labled.

Here is their website - http://www.ksrockspark.com/

Try to catch you in the spring. But its not bad in the winter too.
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.