Hello Jeepers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hello Jeepers

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Cjrichins
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hello Jeepers

Hello All,

Just joining the forum and looking forward to meeting you guys. Bought my first Jeep ever last Feb. and I'm soo hooked!

She's a 1993 YJ 4-Banger, AX5, 231.

I write today with a lot of questions about my new YJ regarding engine swaps, and while I have done a lot of research and done some engine swaps myself, I have never ever thought of putting motors in a different make of vehicle.

My experience: I used to own an '82 Camaro and have done engine swaps in that however, its an extremely bolt-on, and brainless job, and the motor is brainless as well.

Now I have these computers and 4WD systems to deal with, and I am starting to get a little daunted by the job.

The Questions:

1. The "Brain"
I am interested in all three makes of motors and can readily get a 4.2 Mag, 5.3 Vortec. I hear some that these things can be swapped simply by "Splicing 5 Wires" however, no one says which ones. I am looking for a simplified step by step from mounting to plugging in, so that the idea of putting a new ecm doesn't seem like rocket science.

2. Mounts
Novak or Advance are the way to go from my research however, Im curious as to how one determines engine mount placement, or the process of soft seating the motor.

3. Pinion angle, Driveshafts
I have a brand spanking new engine in my jeep...now what? Can I keep the old driveshafts? I understand the concept of pinion angle but how does one determine if it needs to be adjusted?

Final Notes: I really like the idea of having the 4L60 or 700R4.
This is my only vehicle, if I gathered all the parts I need can it be done in a week?

I think I have all other systems like cooling down thought out, and hope to pull this off by Sept. I know a lot of people in the performance Chev, Dodge communities so I have all the tools as well, but Jeep seems to be so foreign to them, and I always get weird looks for even considering it HAA!
No Jeep love in 98020...

BTW Another limited budget college student...

Chris

Cjrichins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My advice to you is this. Take your time. Drive and wheel your jeep as is and get to know its "personality". Then work on your driving skill out on the terrain around your area. I have read enough on this and other jeep forums to get a sense that new jeep owners think "well bigger, better, faster" will make my jeep awesome and in reality, you good sir hold the key to what your jeep can and will do by how much knowledge you gain from what IT teaches you. So take a deep breath and enjoy your jeep as is for a time. For me it was a little over 2 years before I knew what I wanted out of my jeep and more importantly what I felt like I could handle with the upgrades I was about to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Cjrichins
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply and advice. I understand that many a poster has visions of granger after buying their first jeep. However, I am still researching the matter and ultimately hope to learn from those in the community as much as the jeep itself will teach me. Any technical advice is greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Post a pic of your ride, that way we can see what you are working with. And also congratulate you on a great purchase

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Cjrichins
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Here she is! Put a few funny ones too such as the tailgate parker from the other day. And my first lesson from being sans-swaybar.

I picked it up with these shackle extensions and boy does it ever kill my approach angle, gonna have to change those out eventually.

Happy to finally be a Jeeper

Chris
wp_20130223_012.jpg   wp_20130609_002.jpg   wp_20130613_001.jpg   wp_20130613_002.jpg   wp_20130613_003.jpg  

wp_20130613_004.jpg   wp_20130613_005.jpg  
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on your jeep. You'll gain the most knowledge through experience. There is an advanced network of jeepers from across the world on this site that can give technical experience til the cows come home.

: pause for applause:

Your best bet would be to join a 4x4 club and get the folks around you to help you out. The community of jeepers is strong and many hands make light work. Hiram maxim also made light work. And the machine gun.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i cannot help but nice looking jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.