Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Helix Spacer and cool air intake.

718 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  OlllllllO Jeep1 
#1 ·
Just put mine in today. K+N cool air deal and a Helix throttle body spacer. I don't mind the whistle. It's more like a breathing sound. I recently put in some nice platinum plugs too. 65 in 4th gear and 3000 RPM .... so, I don't mind the whistle!

Pics coming soon. (I have to get them developed).

#3 ·
Are you using a 4.0L TB?
Did you get a TB spacer for the 2.5 or 4.0?
If you are using a 4.0L TB and a 4.0L spacer you will notice a remarkable increase in power if you make the spacer a smooth bore. I would'nt have believed if I had not done it myself. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
31 inch tires. It's a 4.0 spacer, helix (not smooth bore), I think it will work on either sized engine. I was going to do the 4.0 TB too, but I just used my old one instead.

#5 ·
Does smooth bore not make the whistling sound? Helix does apparently. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a 4.0 L tbs versus a 2.5 tbs on a 4 banger?

#6 ·
I don't know if I would really call it a whistle. More like a gasp sometimes when you step on the gas. I believe the smooth bore ones make less noise. The Helix, is supposed to cause the air to whirl, giving you more HP than the smooth bore. Both are supposed to increase your gas mileage. Also, I believe most will fit on either a 2.5L or a 4.0L as the intake manifold opening, below the TB, is the same size on both engines.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is the first of these I've ever installed.

#7 ·
I get a slight whistle with my smooth bore spacer. Mine is just a Off-brand I got on e-bay. I also have a rocket air tube.

I think that the Rock-it air tube I bought (also off ebay) is probably for a TJ to but it fits like I have seen in the pics of TJ`s toward the firewall. I was thinking of trying to swing the air intake towards where the original air box was. What would be the only reason for having the air intake towards the firewall? The only thing that I can think of is to keep water out.

Also do I have to worry about it sucking in rain water during rain if I place it at the front of the vehicle. i dont think that this would be a problem, but figured I would ask.

#8 ·
I have never heard of that being a problem. How does your Rock-it air tube do as far as performance?

#9 ·
I get a little throatier sound with the Rock-it to me it seems like I can feel a little more low end. Most of these air tubes usally say 10hp increase which I would imagine would be a little hard to tell with such little increase. When I first got it I checked my fuel economy and was getting almost a mile and a half increase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.