Heim Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heim Joints

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
wild_weazel

Heim Joints

I'm looking for some help with swaping my stock tie rods to Heavier Heim joint tie rods. I swapped my stock YJ axles, to D44 axles and now want to upgrade the stock tie rods. The only problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure how connect from the pitman arm to the right knuckle. Just because I only have one hole on that place. Does anyone know how this can be done or know of any good right ups. I've searched everywhere and can't find anything. Thanks ahead of time.

wild_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weazel
I'm looking for some help with swaping my stock tie rods to Heavier Heim joint tie rods. I swapped my stock YJ axles, to D44 axles and now want to upgrade the stock tie rods. The only problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure how connect from the pitman arm to the right knuckle. Just because I only have one hole on that place. Does anyone know how this can be done or know of any good right ups. I've searched everywhere and can't find anything. Thanks ahead of time.
ummm, i'm confused. you want to connect the pitman arm directly to the tie rod and not the drag link? one hole in what place? the knuckle or the arm?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #3
sjlplat

If you have flat-top knuckles, you can do a hi-steer conversion. If not, you can replace the knuckles for the conversion. If you use one hi-steer arm on the passenger side, the tie-rod remains in the factory position, and the drag-link connects from the pitman arm to the hi-steer arm. If you use two hi-steer arms (one on each knuckle), you can relocate both the tie-rod and the draglink above the knuckles.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
MudMonster

heim joints aren't all theyre cracked up to be, unless they're agricultural grade they'll disentigrate as soon as dirt gets into them, you have to make sure that if and when they fail they wont pull off the bolt (some sort of double shear point or a Big washer below the head). tie rods ends actually run at a better angle and are fail safe. hiems are a magazine popularized gimick (as far as steering goes)

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster
heim joints aren't all theyre cracked up to be, unless they're agricultural grade they'll disentigrate as soon as dirt gets into them, you have to make sure that if and when they fail they wont pull off the bolt (some sort of double shear point or a Big washer below the head). tie rods ends actually run at a better angle and are fail safe. hiems are a magazine popularized gimick (as far as steering goes)
speaking as someone who actually runs heims, I have not had a single issue with mine. My heim joints are teflon sealed and have not had any problems to date regarding dirt. The ones you buy at tractor store are junk, and should not be used in a steering application
tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
wild_weazel

The joints that I have are heavy 3/4"-16. They are used for Gravity Boxes (farming equipment). They have a teflon insert. It sounds to me that I have to change my knuckles. The D44 knuckles I have only have 1 hole on each knuckle where the tie rod would go. The draglink connects to the tierod, on my particular set up. Is this my only option (to change knuckles) or is there another way that I can do this with the knuckles I have. It would be cheaper for me to just replace the original tierods then change my whole setup. Any other suggestions????
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
CJseven

If you have room you can stack the drag link joint on top of the tierod joint on the pass side. use one long bolt to go thru both joints and the arm. I'll look around and see if i can dig up a pic. Also as Tube yj put it if you buy quality joints that are designed for steering and suspension use you’ll have no problems.
CJseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
wild_weazel

I thought about stacking them but I wasn't sure if it would be strong enough, and I wouldn't get the flex from them because they are to close. Are there spacers that you can buy to do this??? Also should I be running these if I plan on driving this as a daily driver 80% of the time??? CJSeven, if you can find your pics I would be very interested to look at them.
Unread 11-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #9
RideRed04

Just run the drag link to the tie-rod. Less bind, and simpler to setup.
Unread 11-05-2004, 05:45 AM   #10
wild_weazel

RideRed how would I attach the drag link to the tie rod??? It is just a tube with a heim joint on both ends. If you have some pics I would be interested.
Unread 11-05-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weazel
RideRed how would I attach the drag link to the tie rod??? It is just a tube with a heim joint on both ends. If you have some pics I would be interested.
You would have to run chevy blazer ends, they have a place for a TRE to go. If you want to stick with hiem joints, then you would have to possibly flatten and sleeve a portion of the DOM for the hiem to bolt in.
Unread 11-07-2004, 10:15 AM   #12
CJseven

Here is a few pics and a write up from fourwheeler , the pics are not of mine but of fourwheelers.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/79038/index.html
CJseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #13
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJseven
Here is a few pics and a write up from fourwheeler , the pics are not of mine but of fourwheelers.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/79038/index.html
here is a link that works

I would be worried about the clearence between the drag link and tie rod at full flex
Unread 11-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #14
wild_weazel

That is the only thing that I would be worried about also, is at full flex binding the two together. I just need to get the spacers and see what happens. I did find a set of flat top knuckles at a local junkyard.

Do all D44 knuckles, fit the D44 axles??? The ones I found are off of a old F250 or 350 I can't quite remember, and mine of course is a Jeep D44. I might pick those up if I can be sure that they fit. If I did get those knuckles, would the steering be easier to set up???
Unread 11-07-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

read up on it at this site:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

I used this article to set up the highsteer setup on my YJ w/44 front. I run a wagoneer housing, chevy flattops, chevy spindles, ford hubs, CJ7 rotors, and Chevy Claipers.

here is a pic of my setup, I have never had any issues with binding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.