Hei or Team Rush ? Which is best ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hei or Team Rush ? Which is best ?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hei or Team Rush ? Which is best ?

I am going to do one of the ignition mods to the yj.
I know it is personal preferance on some of it , but what is your experience on which one makes the most difference. Seems to me like just stabbing a dist. in and go is easier than the team rush parts gathering and installation. What do you guys think ?

Unread 10-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Team Rush is actually quicker/easier... you don't just "stab a dizzy" in there.
I did the Team Rush, and couldn't be happier.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Flynraider
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the teamrush mod as well and am very happy with it. I believe that with HEI you have to change out your dizzy gear or spend a pretty good chunk of change on a kit if you want one that "just stabs in"

Either way I would have to agree that the teamrush mod is better from an ease of installation standpoint.
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think it's gonna be totally preference, as I doubt many (if any) guys have ran both on the same rig. I run the HEI and have had zero issues and am very happy with the improvement.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I think it's gonna be totally preference, as I doubt many (if any) guys have ran both on the same rig. I run the HEI and have had zero issues and am very happy with the improvement.
I ran an HEI on my 442 back in the day, and had one in my Eagle Wagon. Was a drop in for the 442 (obviously) but had to grind the gear to get it to work in the 4.2 in the Eagle.
I was happy with it... no complaints.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run an HEI with 0 trouble. To me having everything in one spot and easily available is cleaner and easier.
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have either one obviously.
IMO HEI has a slight advantage because you upgrade the complete distributor and you eliminate the need for the Duraspark ignition module.
As far as changing the distributor drive gear goes,you can change the gear in less time than it takes to change a tail light bulb.
But I suppose it's all in what you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

team rush (or the the "juice-box") is typically cheaper.
crt performance sells a complete kit for about $100...nice because it uses your distributor and dist gear which was designed for our jeeps

i have a crt performance hei...so far i like it, BUT i have heard that the cheaper hei clones (crt [i]may[/] be included as one of the "cheaper" clones) have issues with the distrib gear being too hard and trashing the cam gear.

i've heard the best hei clone is the DUI system (but expensive) and that you should not buy the $99 one out of some of the jeep catalogs as they are way cheap (built in china).

if i had it to do over again i'd do a team rush (or the juice-box)...a little cheaper and perhaps safer..

A GREAT place to research is in the CJ section of JF...alot of info to mull over

just my .02....
Unread 10-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have 5000 mi on my CRT with no issues. My Stock dist had worn bushings and alot of play. If the gear is a concern get a DUI, Davis Unified Ignition. They are big $$ but I've never heard anyone complain about them.
Unread 10-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
kenny kustom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run a Mallory HEI on my 360. Never knew the " before " though.

2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited.
kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have ran a dui in a race car before ,, no problems at all , but that was a 350. so not really the same. Huge improvement though when it was added.

What is the deal with the gear, the ones that I am looking at on ebay come with a gear on them , all of them ,, CRT, cheaper ones, and the DUI ?

What am I missing on the gear ? I understand that some may be too hard ?
So what are people buying the hei dizzy that comes with a gear on it, puling that gear off,then changing the gear and putting on the gear from the original dizzy that is pulled out ?
Unread 10-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing I've ever seen (and encountered) is when you build your own using a distributor from a GM truck or van, you have to change the gear. The ones you buy for the Jeep are ready to go.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.