HEI or Team Rush?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HEI or Team Rush??

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
bjbrowder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

HEI or Team Rush??

Which mod is better? Not considering the cost, they are about the same, (ebay HEI dist $75), team rush mod $65-100. What do ya'll think? I have done the Team rush mod, nutter, weber, some wiring, and still have a skip. Thinking strongly on the HEI dist.

bjbrowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Weber and Team Rush, this all worked great but when I added a MSD to the package things really improved. I do not feel comfortable with the HEI mod because some cheap china HEI's can be found online with hardened steel gears, which eat up your camshaft and ruin the engine... what you need to improve now is your ignition module with a Summit or MSD model... just my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
USMC_JeepGuy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did the HEI but I pulled one out of an old Chevy @ the junkyard, cost $30 + a new cap/coil for $15, swapped out a 304 gear my buddy had and haven't looked back. No experience with the Team Rush so I can't compare but I do love my HEI, besides I love the strange looks those not in the know give me when they see a GM ignitino on a Jeep motor...
USMC_JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean by skip? By skip do you mean at 2000 RPMs (or what ever RPM) there's an intermittent miss in the firing? Or that when you go to take off from a stop the engine hesitates for a second? Sorry to ask. Everyone has different description for a skip, miss, bog, etc.
spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
bjbrowder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It skips at idle, and threw the rpm range, especially when the engine is cold. The skip isn't constant, or in a pattern. Its just here and there (BaaaaaaaBaBaaaaaaaaBaBaaaaBaBaaaaBaBaa)
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have that sorta sound with my 4.0L. I have no idea what the cause is.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Sprungover

team rush is easy to do and will perform as well, if not better than the HEI.
Sprungover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbrowder View Post
It skips at idle, and threw the rpm range, especially when the engine is cold. The skip isn't constant, or in a pattern. Its just here and there (BaaaaaaaBaBaaaaaaaaBaBaaaaBaBaaaaBaBaa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
I have that sorta sound with my 4.0L. I have no idea what the cause is.
Sheep?

I have an HEI from CRT Performance and have been very happy with it. That made more sense after pricing out the junkyard version with new cap, rotor, coil and wires. Plus the gear.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine from a Junkyard, shoulda just gone with the CRT HEI, just because cost of junkyard parts here is so pricey. The HEI units themselves are basically the same, but the cheap ones on eBay have had issues with the cam drive gear on the HEI chewing up the actual cam gear. If you go HEI, I'd suggest the CRT unit or grind down your stock gear to the right length and swap it out if another HEI unit.

I have no experience with the TFI (team rush) but I believe it still uses the duraspark ignition box, which is a common failure item.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did my team rush and it was a amazing improvement. i got the e-coil for $10 and all the other parts for about $50 new at auto zone. i don't have any experience with HEI. but i like my team rush

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Douglas S.

Junkyard HEI here with an AMC 360 gear, no problems at all
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Junkyard HEI here with an AMC 360 gear, no problems at all

Where'd you find that gear?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Where'd you find that gear?
Telico 4x4 had them for the cheapest price, when I was looking. Maybe $18.

Was still not worth it to me after adding up the cost of a JY distro along with the other parts. Plus the distro you are looking for is pretty old, mid 80's, and might be worn out
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have an HEI from CRT Performance and have been very happy with it. That made more sense after pricing out the junkyard version with new cap, rotor, coil and wires. Plus the gear.
+1 (from ebay)
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
bjbrowder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the team rush on my now, but I wish I wouldva went with an HEI dist.
Think about it, I spent about $100 on the team rush mod, and I still have a 21 year old distributor with 172k miles on it, it is probly wore out, shaft play, weak springs, and not worth keeping. If anyone would like to buy my 1 month old Team Rush components, I will gladly sell them for a good deal. All the parts are the ones in the write up excep the coil. I bought a MSD Blaster 3 coil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.