HEAVY SMOKE... Seized brake caliper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HEAVY SMOKE... Seized brake caliper?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HEAVY SMOKE... Seized brake caliper?

Hey fellas, I was driving home from barns and noble picking up the latest 4x4 mags and something felt wrong with the jeep. First, when coasting to a light, it seemed as though I wasn't rolling as far as though I was really aired down even though I'm not. Then I noticed it was harder to start off in first gear, I had to slip the clutch some more and throttle more. The my steering wheel started to pull to the left. Not hard but if I let it go it would move in the counter-clockwise direction. Finally when I smelled really pungent smoke I pulled over to see what was up. At this time I noticed smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. After limping 1 mile home in 1st gear my thought are that my front driver side caliper hit the fan. I don't know much about brakes, but I'm pretty good with a wrench. My 4.0L has 115k miles on it, not sure when if ever the PO replaced brake parts, so it could all be original. Does it sound like the front driver caliper seized to you? If so what are my options, rebuilding it or completely replacing? What kind of money am I looking at? Thanks, just glad it was the beginning of an oil fire.

martells2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same happen to my passenger side caliper.. they're like 35 bucks and easy to replace.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
dc2842002

Had trouble with my drivers side brakes as well. It ended up not being the calier it was just the pins it slides on. Mine did not result in any smoke though. It just got real hot, it had trouble geting up to highway speeds and would not stay staight under braking.

Just something else to check.
Project '94 YJ 2.5L Four banger w/AX-5 (for now), Ford 8.8 locked out back, D30 up front both w/ 4.88's, SOA on stock springs, 1" Lift shackles, SYE w/ CV driveshaft, No new tires yet still deciding on size (Prolly 35's)

DD '03 F-250 7.3l PSD w/ ZF-6 6 Speed. Ford Makes It, International Shakes It. Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs
dc2842002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2842002
Had trouble with my drivers side brakes as well. It ended up not being the calier it was just the pins it slides on. Mine did not result in any smoke though. It just got real hot, it had trouble geting up to highway speeds and would not stay staight under braking.

Just something else to check.
What did you end up doing to fix it? I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel off and take a look at it. Will do that later tonight. What should I look for? If it were the pins would it be obvious?
martells2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
heywaitfourme

Advanced Auto - 25 bucks! 15 mins to replace.

If it is the bolts, pull them out and give them a good helping of grease, and take a bit of sand paper to the part of the caliper that they slide into. 10 minute jobber!

Good luck
heywaitfourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
dc2842002

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywaitfourme
Advanced Auto - 25 bucks! 15 mins to replace.

If it is the bolts, pull them out and give them a good helping of grease, and take a bit of sand paper to the part of the caliper that they slide into. 10 minute jobber!

Good luck
Thats exactly what I did. They lock up because they dry out. Get the grease that is made to put on the back of the pads to prevent brake noise. It will not melt like other greases will. Clean up any corrosion. I ended up replacing the pins the next time I did my brakes.

If this is the problem you will be able to tell when you get the caliper off. The pins should slide in the caliper very easily.
Project '94 YJ 2.5L Four banger w/AX-5 (for now), Ford 8.8 locked out back, D30 up front both w/ 4.88's, SOA on stock springs, 1" Lift shackles, SYE w/ CV driveshaft, No new tires yet still deciding on size (Prolly 35's)

DD '03 F-250 7.3l PSD w/ ZF-6 6 Speed. Ford Makes It, International Shakes It. Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs
dc2842002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
D_Dude2000
1992 YJ Wrangler 

this an after thought. but if you had smoke coming from you brakes, you might want to bleed them (if you don't replace the capiler) just incase the heat from the brakes didn't boil your brake fluid. have fun and good luck
D_Dude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
LazyJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Old or damaged brake hose can cause it too

Smoking one means you likely cooked the bearing grease also
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Go ahead and change your pads while your at at, at least do some light sanding on the one you cooked. It is likely it looks like a sheet of glass now.
Weekender1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
watkins 92 yj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just replaced my passenger side caliper yesterday. i've been told by several mechanics to change out the flexible brake hose also. has something to do with breakdown inside the hose and not having enough pressure to free the caliper. hope you didn't bake the grease in the wheel bearing pack, cause those things are pricy. good luck
watkins 92 yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.