Heater won't blow unless driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater won't blow unless driving

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
jhyj4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heater won't blow unless driving

My heater won't work unless I'm driving down the road, even with the switch turned on high, med or low. While I'm driving it will blow hot. I didn't know if I should jump right in and change the blower motor or if there would be something different that I should look into first?

jhyj4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your getting outside air, hence you only get it to "blow" while moving... assuming the motor is always running.
Is your blend door moving when you switch between heat and vent?
Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyj4life View Post
My heater won't work unless I'm driving down the road, even with the switch turned on high, med or low. While I'm driving it will blow hot. I didn't know if I should jump right in and change the blower motor or if there would be something different that I should look into first?
Is the blower motor actually coming on? If not, just under the glove box there is a plug that you can unplug and connect a ground and hot wire to and see if he motor will come on. If not the motor is dead. If it does come on, check the fuse for the heater. Could be in the heater control, which can also be relaced. You could put in a 12 volt power source with a switch to the fan for temporary purpoes until you figure this all out.

Swapping out the blower is about a 2 hour job.
Tools required
1/2" socket and ratchet with short extention
1/2" wrench
7/16" socket and ratchet with short extention
7/16" wrench
Phillips screw driver
1/4" nut driver or equivalent wrench
Razor scraper
black RTV silicone

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the fuze, check the on/off sw on the control panel works (ohms) you actually have to pull the heater control panel out of the dash it is on the right hand side of the panel you will see how it is actuated by the levers. check the output from the 3 stage fan switch to the resistor (ohms) inall three positions, check continuity through the resistor and then on the firewall make sure the wire (single lead) is hooked up. Then check power to the blower motor. All before buying a new blower motor. Somehow mine was disconnected in the last year.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
YJ346
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My 1995 YJ did the same thing. I changed the fuse located below the steering column and was as good as new.
YJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
jhyj4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ346 View Post
My 1995 YJ did the same thing. I changed the fuse located below the steering column and was as good as new.
Thanks for all the posts and help. I feel like an idiot. Ended up being the fuse under the dash. Thanks again for all the posts!
jhyj4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyj4life View Post
Thanks for all the posts and help. I feel like an idiot. Ended up being the fuse under the dash. Thanks again for all the posts!
Don't feel like an idiot. We all have DOH! moments here/there.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hijack but sounds like your done with the thread. Mines doing it also, I've changed the controller the relay, checked the fuse and hot wired the motor so I know it works. At this point I'm just gonna hook up a switch directly to the motor but not sir the best way. Should I use a relay and fuse, maybe a switch with built in relay? Any ideas and instructions would be awesome. Thanks.
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to just put this out there.
I ran into a problem where everything worked but I only got heat when I pressed the gas. So when the engine was off but power was on it would work great. I ended up shoving a bent up curtain rod under the flap to allow air movement. This year I discovered that one of the vacuum hoses going to the heater control was in the wrong spot.

Maybe that can be helpful to someone doing a search in the future after looking for fuses and relays and all that
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

My vacuum lines have been gone for awhile. I have the vacuum block but have no idea where the two output lines go. Replaced the heater control panel and the bad cables. All seems to work OK. What did the vacuum lines control???
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They control the flaps in the cowl to open and close
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm back at it again, My blower worked for a while with my switch and direct hot from battery but now the blower stopped again. I fear I have killed the motor this time. I am not looking forward to or even sure I can get it apart enough to change it. From what I've read so far the defroster is required for PA state inspection.
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How is your blower wired to to the battery? Fuses ? Are you using the resistor?
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTEN View Post
How is your blower wired to to the battery? Fuses ? Are you using the resistor?
Directly wired to bat with a 20amp fuse and switch (always hot) and grounded to body. I should add it blew 2 15amp fuses so I went to a 20, which is standard for this vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.