Heater problem plz help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater problem plz help!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heater problem plz help!

Ok I wouldn't be complaining but it COLD out! This is my situation when iam driveing the heater puts out some heat but at a stop light or sitting still at idle it begins blowing cold air I have coolant and no leaks anyone else have this problem before?

LostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some heat. Make sure your blend door is in the heat position. The fact that it changes when you are stopped seems to indicate that the flow is changing or inconsistent. Im thinking heater core.
blend-door-hot.jpg  
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You think the thermostat could be sticking? And I guess I should ask how hard it is to do heater core?
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-core-219329/. It could be the thermostat sticking. Does your temp guage get up to operating temp at 210? To check the core feel both hoses going into it in the engine bay. They should both feel hot to the touch and about the same temp. You have the smaller blower like mine. I upgraded the blower and replaced the core and now I can cook an egg on the coldest days. If you're looking for a temp fix try resticting the air flow across the radiator with a piece of cardboard.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds more like a vacuum issue with the heater controls.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to fix the vac lines already cause of the 4wd my fans work pretty good cause I feel heat when its warmed up and iam driving but iam guessing thermostat ill try that first cause its easy to do how difficult is it to do heater core?
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The heater core is easy to do. I post a link that walks you through it. It took me about 6 hours and that was taking my time and doing the blower mod too. You should upgrade your blower motor at the same time. Im telling you it a HUGE HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just found two vacuum hoses unhooked behind throttle body hissing lol great... and just bought 180 degree thermostat
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good call EABiker!
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh wait that looks like breather hoses for the oil instead vacuum lines
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok when I get off work ill check those two lines going in and out of the heater core
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you are getting heat going down the road and not when stopped I really don't think its the thermostat I would lean more towards vaccum or the heater control selector not locking into position completly. There are two cables on the back of your climate control dash selector. One that controls the temperture or the heat and the other that selects off, the defroster, floor heat or the vent. Sometimes these cables binde, stretch or the clips pop off causeing the control doors in the heater box to stick half way between, so you may be selecting floor heat but you may also have the vent partially open allowing cold air to mix. So when you come to a stop your rpm's drop, causing your voltage to drop some, allowing the fan motor to slow down and cold air from the vent to mix in with the heat easier. In turn giving you the cold air. Move the control lever around to different positions and see if you notice any change. Also move it to the off position and check to see if the system actually turns off. My 1987 YJ does not remain in the off position because of one of the cables, it will turn off when I hold the switch all the way to the left but as soon as I release it the defroster turns right back on.

Yours being a 1990 I believe still works or a cable system its just a different dash selector setup.
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
LostJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ill check that this weekend i havent had the time to work on it but i bought few things for my jeep this week and waiting for the rest of them to come in but my boss had his truck worked on cause he was having the same problem and it turned out it was the thermostat staying open but ill look at cables first then if that doesnt work ill do thermostat
Unread 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

i would go with a higher tempt thermostat. i had a 180 deg in my cj and this winter after replacing my radiator i couldnt get the heat to rise above 170 deg. needless to say the heat in the cab was nonexistant. i poped in a stock temp 195deg last sunday and now the heat works (as good a stock heat can work in a cj). just my 2cents
zeronight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.