heater output 90 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heater output 90 yj

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

heater output 90 yj

Alright, I bought my yj about a month ago. The heater didnt really put out, like it did on my 94, so I did the 73 blazer upgrade. The blower is definitely stronger, there is no doubt. But the air I actually get from the vents is miniscule. I dealt with it for a little while, but i had to plug a few holes in the floorboards, so I figured why not pull the box. So I took it out, took it apart everything seems to be working fine inside. The doors seem to work just fine. So I siliconed the entire seal, bolted it back together. I gave it time to dry and reinstalled. I still have little air flow from the floor vents, and the defrost vent. Since it is getting warmer here in the northeast, I wont worry too much about it, but when fall comes around, and old man winter joins the fight, I want this fixed. My 94 would heat up great. the air is hot coming out, but its like there isnt any force behind it. thats the whole reason I did the upgrade. whats happening here? there are only two doors inside, i played with the door my the floor/defrost and it gave a little more air, but still not what it should be. I am lost guys. anyone have any ideas? i thought about swapping the box out, if i can find one at a junk yard. i just dont know what else to do. oh, when i did the initial upgrade, the blower i got had a little too long of a shaft. so the ridge inside the box on the back side of the fan, i cut it down so the fan would fit. i dont think this would matter but who knows. let me know. thanks!

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

no input? come on someone has to have something.
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The air has to be going somewhere. Not sure what ridge you cut, but could the air be going out behind the fan? Also the flaps have a foam seal around the edge, is yours sealing up? Are you sure the fan is turning and not slipping on the shaft? I would search for where the air is going, if I could not find that I'd make sure the fan is actually putting out air and not just spinning the shaft.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well i did some searching and found a very helpful page. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/yj-h...ned-68618.html
this makes a lot more sense. since i kept the vent door from the cowl closed. with it opened, i will have a lot more air flow inside my jeep. also looking at a mojave, but it makes sense that as i drive i will have higher airflow than sitting still. the wonders of google.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im waiting for answers myself... same issue here
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

all of my heat is purely ambient heat coming off the engine. I shouldn't say that because there is some forced air coming from the defrosters, but that's not much and it's about it.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of trying a scoop on that vent right in front of the windshield, see what that would do
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the PO did that on mine. he said it added quite a bit. I am thinking because I didnt understand exactly the inner workings of heater system, i forced the vent from the cowl closed. therefore it was choking off the airflow to the blower, and not allowing it to move air into the jeep. now i leave it open, and everything seems to be warmer. so it may have solved itself. i did all my testing with the jeep sitting still. so that could be the variable that is causing the issue. i guess i will know soon enough. and i am thinking about adding a mojave or something similar for next winter. just adding a t to the current lines and sending through to the other box. maybe it will help a bit. i did add the ducts from quadratec. so instead of aiming at the shifter its at my feet. gotta love having a jeep.
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so, summer is winding down, and here in nepa I'm seeing low 50s in the morning. when my doors don't quite match up with my top it makes for a chilly drive to work. with fall and winter right around the corner, I gotta fix this issue. my fan just doesn't seem to put out. messing with the controls gives a bit more flow but at 50 and its kinda cool, with fall and winter right around the corner I gotta fix this. if its raining, I have to have the window part way down to keep the windshield from fogging. I've scoured the forums and can't find anything. I thought about changing the controls, and getting a new box, but idk if it will change. has anyone done the Mojave install? Help, this is driving me crazy! the air is hot, but just doesn't have any push. I gotta fix this!
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i havent pursued the issue much since last post, as it is not my daily driver. But try the scoop on the vent in front of the windshield. It wont hurt, you could even rig something out of cardboard for free before spending any money. I did a coolant flush and thermo and hoses replacement yet still get no push. I've always heard that heat in jeeps sucked, which is probably why they sell those auxillary box heaters. Do let us know if you figure it out.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the vent already. I don't kno what it was like previously, so I have no frame of reference. the po said it made a difference. my 94 had a great heater in it, it would burn the top of your feet. just lost. its gotta be something with the box, I think I'm going to get a new/used box and temp control off eBay and install that. but I was wondering about the Mojave heater bc I can't find any write ups on it. idk more research.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I might just have to do the Mojave and make my own write up. I definitely have to do something, I'm sure ill be seeing 30s next month.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The heater 'system' is simple in design so here are a few questions:
1) You mention a '73 blazer mod.....is the motor polarity sensitive? Could be blowing the wrong direction.
2) Do you have a lack of forced air in the 'warm' and 'cool' positions? If only 'warm', could be a clogged up heater core with trash, leaves, etc.
3) Have you checked the flex hose that attaches the air box to the duct work? Mine came loose and I used hvac tape with a coat of mastic to seal it up.

Placing a hood scoop will assist while driving down the road as it will 'force' air down the duct work, but will be pretty much useless when not moving.

[QUOTE=Rproject;15815900]The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.[/QUOTE]
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown73 View Post
The heater 'system' is simple in design so here are a few questions:
1) You mention a '73 blazer mod.....is the motor polarity sensitive? Could be blowing the wrong direction.
2) Do you have a lack of forced air in the 'warm' and 'cool' positions? If only 'warm', could be a clogged up heater core with trash, leaves, etc.
3) Have you checked the flex hose that attaches the air box to the duct work? Mine came loose and I used hvac tape with a coat of mastic to seal it up.

Placing a hood scoop will assist while driving down the road as it will 'force' air down the duct work, but will be pretty much useless when not moving.
number 3 sounds like could be my problem since i have no airbox or any sort of forced air. Just a cleaner on the carb.
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my heater blows so hot and forcefully, i have to set it on low or open the windows a bit or i dehydrate. i have a round old style air cleaner on my carb too and it still it crazy hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.