Heater not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater not working

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heater not working

I had my dash apart last year and the heater worked fine. Was laid up with back surgery for a while, went to use heater and got nothing. All vents open and close. I checked all plugs I could find and they seem OK. The fuse is good and I even put a new one in for good measure. The blower does not operate. I get no sounds at all from the system. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Unread 10-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's a little orange wire under the battery, it plugs into a terminal on the firewall that powers the blower. I'd start there and make sure it's connected. There's also a variable resistor on the heater box that can go bad, and then the motor.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Does this go into a terminal with other wires? If so it looks connected but the terminals are corroded. I will clean those off tomorrow and go from there.
Unread 10-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, on mine it was just like a spade connector sticking out of the motor. (Just the one wire)
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All is good with the wire. What steps would you recommend taking from here? Thanks.
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
pushead

Run a wire from your batter straight to the terminal sticking out from the motor under your batter tray. If it kicks on you know its good and can eliminate that.
Unread 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I will try that as well.
Unread 11-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
stib4
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1989yj
Thanks. I will try that as well.
You should have asked me. Run a wire from battery to blower that will tell you the most. Oh and where are pictures of the jeep painted all I see are the old blue pics
stib4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
GreggieAtTheBat
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Recheck the fuse

I had this issue a while back. The fuse was good (checked with ohm-meter), replaced it anyway, still no heater fan. Started going through the entire circuit with multimeter (looking for 12V at all points along the circuit path). When I touched to the contacts to the fuse contacts (the small exposed test points) the fan kicked on - the contacts in the fuse block were loose.

It took some time to figure out the right placement of the fuse, and from time to time it would stop, I just reached down and hit the fuse with my finger until the fan kicked on. This works for a little while but now (as of about 3 months ago, haven't fixed yet) the arcing as the fuse makes/breaks contacts eroded the fuse blades, and one of them has now broken off in the slot. SO I have to get in there with a needle-nose pliers to pull the broken blade and then figure out how to properly repair the fuse-block contacts. Maybe aluminum foil wrapped on the blade; just have to make sure I can do that without shorting across contacts.
GreggieAtTheBat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is up and running now. There was corrosion on the terminal at the firewall and the wire was also frayed. I put in a new wire and spade connector and am good to go now. Thanks everyone for your help.
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Blue, good to hear you got it up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieAtTheBat
.......the contacts in the fuse block were loose....

...SO I have to get in there with a needle-nose pliers to pull the broken blade and then figure out how to properly repair the fuse-block contacts....

Mine did the same thing, with the same fuse. I pulled the entire block out...the only way I could figure to fix it was to replace the fuse block. I couldn't find anywhere that had just the little connectors that fit in the block. Anyhow, I got one of THESE from the parts store, and bypassed the block.
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heat is good.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a picture of this orange wire location? I have been looking and I don't see it anywhere on mine. Mine is a 95. The blower rarely turns on but does sometimes if I turn off the Jeep and back on a few times. Seems like a bad connection but can't find it.

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker777 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of this orange wire location? I have been looking and I don't see it anywhere on mine. Mine is a 95. The blower rarely turns on but does sometimes if I turn off the Jeep and back on a few times. Seems like a bad connection but can't find it.
the connector is on the firewall just under the battery tray. If the orange wire isnt connected to it then its dangling somewhere near it. Sorry I dont have any pictures but you should be able to find it.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Mark. I am guessing it plugs in on the bottom side of the blower housing under the battery tray? I have not seen it yet but think I found a picture of it. Maybe I can find it and get it hooked up before I leave this morning. It is 3 degrees today and I have a long drive.

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.