heater gone dead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heater gone dead

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
blurunner
1930 YJ Wrangler 

heater gone dead

my heater went dead on me. It was working one moment and then pooped out. I've checked the fuses under and it's all okay so I'm stumped on this. Any suggestions??

thanks.

blurunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Did you check the wiring that connects to the blower motor on the inside and the one just below the batt tray??? That one can come off.

Start testing your wiring to the heater with a multimeter. If you have juice but no heat then I would start with the blower motor itself. If you search, you will see one of 15 threads in the last few weeks on the blower motor replacement and upgrade.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How about checking the Resistor?. That has been known to go bad and if it does, the heater will only work on the high speed.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
blurunner
1930 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep25
How about checking the Resistor?. That has been known to go bad and if it does, the heater will only work on the high speed.
Here's the thing...If I pull up firmly all the way up on the fan speed lever, the heater will turn on. Is that the cause of the resistor. If so, where would the resistor be located?
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

You need a haynes manual. It has most of that fun stuff in it. Great book- and you can get it at most parts stores for ~$15-20
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
ss313
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have to hold pressure on the fan switch it mat be the bad part. If you only need to put it in the high setting for the fan to work the resistor is the most likely suspect.

95 YJ 2.5, 5 spd., 8.8, 2" lift, 30's = fun
78 Chevy K10 7" lift, 35's, 350 = intimidation
ss313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
OneLung
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It may just be a dirty switch. Take it out and clean the switch with some 91% rubbing alcohol and a tooth-brush.
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The resistor pack for the Jeep YJ is located beneath the dashboard on the passenger side. It's a "Rectanguler shaped" piece of red plastic, held on by two screws. There is a 4 wire connector visible as well.
Its just above the vent door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurunner
my heater went dead on me. It was working one moment and then pooped out. I've checked the fuses under and it's all okay so I'm stumped on this. Any suggestions??

thanks.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
hanshunter

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You guys on this forum are allot of help.
I just recently purchaced a 95 wrangler and have a few
little issues with it and can always seem to find an answer
somewhere here!! Thanks
hanshunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
blurunner
1930 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
The resistor pack for the Jeep YJ is located beneath the dashboard on the passenger side. It's a "Rectanguler shaped" piece of red plastic, held on by two screws. There is a 4 wire connector visible as well.
Its just above the vent door.
I've looked under the dash and could not locate anything red w/ 2 screws or a 4wire connector as well. This was all I could locate that was similar to the description mentioned. Is this the correct unit?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, that's a relay. Try cleaning the switch first and check the electrical connections, then look to the resistor. Typically with electrical parts such as a resistor, it either works or doesn't, they don't go kinda bad.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
blurunner
1930 YJ Wrangler 

I've already cleaned the switch and checked the connections. Would you happen to know of the exact location of the resistor pack? I've looked and looked but don't see anything like the described.
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't be able to describe the location any better than Pat already did. Did you check the voltage?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Todd14

I have had the same problem with my '95 YJ. I replaced the resister and that didnt help. It is right to the left of the interior light just to the left of the light switch (Shuts off light when door opens or closes) on the passinger side. Just under the dash. I had a hard time locating it first my self. Mine was all black
Todd14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #15
brutus_skx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I have a question; why don't people post more pictures on this site? It seems all are very knowledgeable about locations and what to do, but if someone doesn't know where something is (like me) is it too hard for a quick picture to be posted to help us? Perhaps someone could post a picture of this resistor pack they speak of to help others out a little more that just a typed description?

I'm a noob to this site but I have been on wheeling forums for about 4 years now (had a 2006 Nissan Xterra and wheeled the piss out of it and use to be on thenewx.org all the time), so I'm not trying to flame anyone or come across as an @$$. Just would like some visuals posted that can help the ones new to jeeps out while we are trying to find our way around these old things. Some have to try and decipher what is factory vs mods vs what was totally removed. Any help from you older fellas who knows these things in and out would be greatly appreciated.
brutus_skx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.