JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   heater gone dead (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-gone-dead-496457/)

blurunner 12-15-2007 11:08 PM

heater gone dead

my heater went dead on me. It was working one moment and then pooped out. I've checked the fuses under and it's all okay so I'm stumped on this. Any suggestions??

thanks.

rustywrangler 12-15-2007 11:43 PM

Did you check the wiring that connects to the blower motor on the inside and the one just below the batt tray??? That one can come off.

Start testing your wiring to the heater with a multimeter. If you have juice but no heat then I would start with the blower motor itself. If you search, you will see one of 15 threads in the last few weeks on the blower motor replacement and upgrade.

-Rusty :tea:

Jeep25 12-16-2007 08:45 AM

How about checking the Resistor?. That has been known to go bad and if it does, the heater will only work on the high speed.

blurunner 12-18-2007 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep25
How about checking the Resistor?. That has been known to go bad and if it does, the heater will only work on the high speed.

Here's the thing...If I pull up firmly all the way up on the fan speed lever, the heater will turn on. Is that the cause of the resistor. If so, where would the resistor be located?

MetZenDS 12-18-2007 06:25 AM

You need a haynes manual. It has most of that fun stuff in it. Great book- and you can get it at most parts stores for ~$15-20

ss313 12-18-2007 06:33 AM

If you have to hold pressure on the fan switch it mat be the bad part. If you only need to put it in the high setting for the fan to work the resistor is the most likely suspect.

OneLung 12-18-2007 12:02 PM

It may just be a dirty switch. Take it out and clean the switch with some 91% rubbing alcohol and a tooth-brush.

pat8942 12-18-2007 12:43 PM

The resistor pack for the Jeep YJ is located beneath the dashboard on the passenger side. It's a "Rectanguler shaped" piece of red plastic, held on by two screws. There is a 4 wire connector visible as well.
Its just above the vent door.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blurunner
my heater went dead on me. It was working one moment and then pooped out. I've checked the fuses under and it's all okay so I'm stumped on this. Any suggestions??

thanks.

hanshunter 12-22-2007 08:01 AM

You guys on this forum are allot of help.
I just recently purchaced a 95 wrangler and have a few
little issues with it and can always seem to find an answer
somewhere here!! Thanks:thumbsup:

blurunner 10-06-2008 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat8942 (Post 4560169)
The resistor pack for the Jeep YJ is located beneath the dashboard on the passenger side. It's a "Rectanguler shaped" piece of red plastic, held on by two screws. There is a 4 wire connector visible as well.
Its just above the vent door.

I've looked under the dash and could not locate anything red w/ 2 screws or a 4wire connector as well. This was all I could locate that was similar to the description mentioned. Is this the correct unit?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/04X/049.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/04X/048.jpg[/IMG]

timatoe 10-06-2008 10:41 AM

No, that's a relay. Try cleaning the switch first and check the electrical connections, then look to the resistor. Typically with electrical parts such as a resistor, it either works or doesn't, they don't go kinda bad.

blurunner 10-07-2008 01:00 AM

I've already cleaned the switch and checked the connections. Would you happen to know of the exact location of the resistor pack? I've looked and looked but don't see anything like the described.:confused:

timatoe 10-07-2008 10:31 AM

I wouldn't be able to describe the location any better than Pat already did. Did you check the voltage?

Todd14 12-16-2010 06:58 PM

I have had the same problem with my '95 YJ. I replaced the resister and that didnt help. It is right to the left of the interior light just to the left of the light switch (Shuts off light when door opens or closes) on the passinger side. Just under the dash. I had a hard time locating it first my self. Mine was all black

brutus_skx 12-27-2010 11:22 PM

Ok I have a question; why don't people post more pictures on this site? It seems all are very knowledgeable about locations and what to do, but if someone doesn't know where something is (like me) is it too hard for a quick picture to be posted to help us? Perhaps someone could post a picture of this resistor pack they speak of to help others out a little more that just a typed description?

I'm a noob to this site but I have been on wheeling forums for about 4 years now (had a 2006 Nissan Xterra and wheeled the piss out of it and use to be on thenewx.org all the time), so I'm not trying to flame anyone or come across as an @$$. Just would like some visuals posted that can help the ones new to jeeps out while we are trying to find our way around these old things. Some have to try and decipher what is factory vs mods vs what was totally removed. Any help from you older fellas who knows these things in and out would be greatly appreciated.

The time now is 04:46 PM.