heater fuse keeps blowing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heater fuse keeps blowing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

heater fuse keeps blowing

I just replaced the blown fuse for my heater. With a new fuse in place I tried the heater, and again nothing...sure enough I've blown another fuse. After installing another fuse I started the jeep and then stopped it (without turning on the heater). I checked and the fuse was blown again, just by starting the jeep.

Does anyone have an ideas where/what I should look at?

blamejane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Possibly a bad switch that's got an internal short. If you use an ohm meter and test from the switch side of the fuse plug (not the side with 12v coming from the battery) to a ground on the jeep and have continuity that would indicate a short either between the fuse and the switch or in the switch itself.
coshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks coshooter. How do I tell which side of the fuse plug is the switch side, versus the side coming from the 12v battery)?
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you putting the right amp fuse in there?
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes, it calls for 25 amps.
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejane2 View Post
Thanks coshooter. How do I tell which side of the fuse plug is the switch side, versus the side coming from the 12v battery)?

Use a test light or voltmeter and see which side of the fuse plug has 12v to a frame ground with the key in the on position.
coshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like a short to the motor from the switch or the relay if it's on the load side.
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have continutiy at the fuse when testing the switch side. I disconnected the heater switch and checked again, the fuse still has continuity. I disconnected the a/c switch and still we have continuity.

Any ideas?
Unread 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's supposed to be a diode tapped in the wiring harness somewhere near the wiper switch t/o.

Does any one know where this diode is? I need to see if this diode was blown when my pcm fried. I'm trying to trace fuse #12 dk green wire, which is supposed to have a diode.

Any help would be awesome.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.