Heater doesn't work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater doesn't work

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-12-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
The Fuzz

Heater doesn't work

Hey guys...
On my way home from work tonight my heater just stopped working. I turned it on hi to deforst the window and it was blowing out fine. About half way home I noticed it wasn't blowing hard any more. I played with all the controls and nothing happend. The air comming out of the vents was still hot, but it wasn't blowing hardly any air at all. Has this ever happend to anyone? If so what caused it and whats the best way to fix it?
Thanks guys..

1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check to see if the blower kicks on when in Low or Medium mode. If it doesn't work in High mode but does work in the other two, you have a problem with the connection to the blower motor resistor.

<edit>it could also be a fuse to the blower motor, if there is one...

Drew
Unread 03-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Since you say you played with the controls I'd say it sounds like the blower motor itself died, assuming the fuse didn't blow... On mine actually, when the motor was dying last year, it would spin for a while but gradually slow down and heat up to the point that it would blow the fuse anyway. Some air would still blow out the vents when I was moving though, since air would hit the cowl vent and force its way through the system. That's probably the warm air you're feeling.

I eventually did the Blazer motor upgrade, but I don't know if that applies to the newer YJs. Anyway, replacing the motor is not too hard at all. Biggest pain is getting that heater assembly out, but it's doable.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
pyro9862

Unplug the blower, put a test light on it. If it's not getting voltage start tracing wires. If it is make sure it is turned on (controlls not broken). If it's turned on and getting voltage the motor is dead. I think you could directly apply the 12v to it to check the motor as well unless their is a resistor somwhere?
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
Unplug the blower, put a test light on it. If it's not getting voltage start tracing wires. If it is make sure it is turned on (controlls not broken). If it's turned on and getting voltage the motor is dead. I think you could directly apply the 12v to it to check the motor as well unless their is a resistor somwhere?
I believe on the high setting, the blower is recieving full voltage from the battery. It's only on the lower speeds that it goes through resistors, so you could test it by applying voltage to it.

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Unread 03-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me know if you need to get to the motor. I replaced my heater core last weekend and took pictures. Had it back together in about 3-4 hours at a slow pace. Easy job, and mine has the under-dash AC unit.
Unread 03-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
bono426
2005 WK 

can you send me the pictures? i have to replace my blower motor too and im not to sure where to start.. thanks
Unread 03-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #8
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHastings
Did this help?
It helped me! Thanks for giving me something new to add to my favorites list

Unread 03-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
It helped me! Thanks for giving me something new to add to my favorites list
Good! I'm glad it helped. I put a little time in it since it seems like a lot of people have asked about it, and I just didn't want it to get lost without anyone seeing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.