Heater core maybe leaking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater core maybe leaking?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heater core maybe leaking?

So, after replacing my 2.5 with a new 2.5, I've been having some temperature fluctuations while the engine is warming up - it's behaving exactly like a sticky/slow thermostat, where it will get warmer and warmer until it gets up to about the 240 or 250 mark on the gauge, then it'll drop down to 180 once the thermostat opens up. It slowly builds again, this time it'll get up to about 220 before dropping to about 190, and after that it'll warm back up to 210 and stay there (as it should).

The problem I was having was that when it got to the hottest point, I think it may have revealed a small leak in my heater core - steam pouring from the defroster vents, fluid leaking out the bottom of the jeep, driving with the windows open, and occasionally wiping the inside of the windshield with a paper towel; fun times.

Well I got a new thermostat and radiator cap. I haven't had the time to replace the thermostat yet, but I did replace the cap Tuesday night and I realized the old cap was a 16 psi cap instead of the usual 13 psi. The new cap seems to help stabilize the temperature swings (though I'm still going to do the thermostat this weekend) and the leaking, and what is even more amazing is that the steam from the vents has stopped too, once the fluid that was in the heater box had time to fully evaporate. I think I must have a magic Jeep.

So I guess the question is, could just having the wrong radiator cap with that extra 3 psi have caused the heater core to start leaking? I had the same cap with the old engine, and never had problems with the core leaking. I'm thinking I may have cracked some solder while removing the hoses to pull the engine.

The radiator cap wouldn't have caused the near overheating though, right? That seems like it would be more the job of the thermostat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The heater core is sealed, after the water enters at the fire-wall i don't think there is a way for water to end up in the heater box unless the core has a hole. I just changed mine, it's a PITA but I did mine without unhooking the air-conditioner so I had to do a whole lot of wiggling to get the heater box out, if you don't have A/C it would be a piece of cake.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had very similiar symptoms with my 1991 2.5L. I kept getting very small pools of antifreeze on my passenger floor board. I replaced my heater core and found it had a very small leak from one of the vains. It was a very small leak. It is a PITA!!!! I would hate to see the labor cost of having a shop change it for me.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
heater core , leaking coolant , radiator cap , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.