Heater core - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater core

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
33chief
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Heater core

My heater core finally **** the bed. I bypassed the core and connected both hoses together.

I am going to be buying a new heater core. Am I better off with any one brand over the next?

I have an 87 4cyl, YJ, with no a/c

Thanks

33chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33chief View Post
My heater core finally **** the bed. I bypassed the core and connected both hoses together.

I am going to be buying a new heater core. Am I better off with any one brand over the next?

I have an 87 4cyl, YJ, with no a/c

Thanks
I don't know about brands, but you want to find a replacement that has the mounting bracket soldered on one end. I bought my replacement core from rockauto.com. I didn't realize the difference at the time, but afterward I found that the direct fit replacement cost a little more, and I wish I had got one of those. The others just sort of fit in there, but can rattle around. I would buy it from rockauto again, but choose a different one.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got the OEM replacement from Rock Auto. Haven't had a problem since. Granted, it was kind of a B to get the heater duct out and to align the new core as I put the duct back together, but I'm very happy with the product.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
33chief
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Appreciate all the comments and advice.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In general, for heater cores, best to get OEM. some people recommend copper or brass

I did put a NAPA in mine (turned out to be aluminum when it arrived, I put it in anyhow), had to fuss a bit to get the air seals right (so it wasn't a perfect replacement), but works ok.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It took me a couple of trips to NAPA, but none of their's had the mounting tab. Ended up buying this one off Amazon. It was not brass, but it did have the mounting bracket which is very soft so be careful when tightening the sheet metal mounting screws. I also bought some door or window weather stripping from Home Depot to help seal the core in the air box and some of this to seal the air box cover. The glazing tape worked great on the trans tunnel cover and shifter boot as well.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just buy the whole plenum box, new fan and all. You can get one for around 140 on ebay, you're already doing the work it would take and at least with a new box you won't have to reseal the plenum and you will have new seals and a working vent door.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run a OE replacement from Oriley auto, While your in there replace the Blowemotor with one from a Blazer also it'll really throw out some air
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
dailyyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what year blazer core did ya get and did it fit without modifying
dailyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyyj
I used a Yj heatercore and a blazer blower motor. There is a writeup on here just look for blazer blower motor
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyyj
It's not the blazer core that gets used it's the blazer blower motor that you need. It's part # PM102. You'll have to enlarge the hole where the motor it self sticks out of the tub. It's a great upgrade. The write-up should be in the FAQ's section.

If you have a 95 I believe you already have the bigger blower motor installed. If memory serves me right that's when Jeep switched to the bigger blower motor.
ChicagoYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
dailyyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks yeah sorry meant to say fan not core brain fart
dailyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
33chief
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. So today I replaced my heater core. Bought a core at the local auto parts store and paid just over $30.00 after a 40% discount.
I took off my battery tray and went to work.
It took me a little over 2 1/2 hours to remove everything and install the new heater core and reinstall the assembly. I realized that I wasn't getting "hot" air through the ducts. That's when I looked and must have broken one of the clips that controls the blend gate because the temp select lever wasn't working.
I disconnected the cable that works the temp slide so now I just have to manually control the blend gate by reaching under the dash....no biggie!
But I have heat now and I am thrilled!
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's when I looked and must have broken one of the clips that controls the blend gate because the temp select lever wasn't working.
I disconnected the cable that works the temp slide so now I just have to manually control the blend gate by reaching under the dash....no biggie!
Mine did the same thing on a recent trip. It's on my short list of repairs. In the meantime I also reach under and switch it from heat to defrost and back again as needed.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok. So today I replaced my heater core. Bought a core at the local auto parts store and paid just over $30.00 after a 40% discount.
I took off my battery tray and went to work.
It took me a little over 2 1/2 hours to remove everything and install the new heater core and reinstall the assembly. I realized that I wasn't getting "hot" air through the ducts. That's when I looked and must have broken one of the clips that controls the blend gate because the temp select lever wasn't working.
The YJ heater core is far easier to replace than most vehicles. Mine took about the same time without rushing. For S&G compare the ZJ: Haynes suggests this is not a project for the home mechanic as it involves removing the entire dashboard....

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.