Heater Core - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater Core

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
AristosIV
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heater Core

Howdy
My 95YJ just doesnt warm up in the winter like it used to.I have the original stock heater core. I'm thinking that it needs to get replaced. I've looked online and theres quite a variety of replacements.
Does anyone know which heater core is the best?
Thanks

AristosIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I bought mine from Rock Auto. It was around $30 or so.

But I'll bet that is not your problem. It could be plugged, but probably not. You will probably find your problem in the blend doors in the heater box assy.

I am assuming your engine is running at normal temp.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I flushed my heater core (factory original still) with CLR. Worked very well. How is the radiator? I just replaced my radiator due to plugging and leaking issues and hot dang she blows real hot now!
XJ93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went with this one: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...675&cc=1185241

Enjoy your weekend ripping apart the inside of your rig.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I went with this one: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...675&cc=1185241

Enjoy your weekend ripping apart the inside of your rig.
That's the one I bought as well.

But if I had it to do again (and I probably will eventually) I would spend a few extra bucks and get this one:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...127&cc=1184745

Reason? Look carefully at the picture. This one has the extra mounting bracket soldered to the top of the core. So it is secured like the OEM. The Spectra version doesn't and it ends up just sitting loose in the heater box. I put a little foam in to keep it from rattling, but I'm afraid the movement is going to shorten its life.
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

^ I'd agree that the heater core just kind of sat in there. I was able to salvage the foam from around my OEM one and reuse it, but it wasn't 100% tight. I took some foam that's used as a filter for window air conditioners and put that around it to lock it in place. It works. Not "right", but it works. Mine's not a DD during the winter, so I really didn't care THAT much, but the one bpounds suggested does look more correct.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

before you go buy anything you might not need... inside the jeep, under the glove box area, you'll see the air box and what looks like a bicycle brake cable connected to it... on mine, it wasn't the actual cable end, but where the cable housing clamps on to the bracket kept popping off so moving the heat control lever was just moving the cable housing and not the cable itself. the little tabs that "snap" into place on the bracket were broken - fixed it with a zip tie, been going good the last 3 years
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I always take mine to the car wash and disconnect the heater hoses from the pump. Stick the sprayer nozzle in the hose and flush it out good alternating back and forth on the hoses. Some people say you shouldn't do this but I have never had any problems. I'm sure if there is a weak spot in the heater core you may find it though in which case you probably needed to replace it anyways.
If you do what I do make sure you know where the other hose is pointing before spraying. You could end up soaking wet.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
AristosIV
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debord97
I always take mine to the car wash and disconnect the heater hoses from the pump. Stick the sprayer nozzle in the hose and flush it out good alternating back and forth on the hoses. Some people say you shouldn't do this but I have never had any problems. I'm sure if there is a weak spot in the heater core you may find it though in which case you probably needed to replace it anyways.
If you do what I do make sure you know where the other hose is pointing before spraying. You could end up soaking wet.
Thanks everyone! Ill try the cheap fixes first.years ago I'd have gone to a radiator shop and gotten it boiled out. I should mentioned I had the jeep in storage for around ten years and I've been driving the past two years
AristosIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

debord what you are doing is illegal you know. That is improper disposal of coolant which can be a toxic chemical. You need to not do that anymore.
XJ93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ That depends on the local municipalities rules on disposal. Many still allow you to pour it down the sewer (inside drain). If the car wash drains in to the sewer (not the storm drain) and they allow it, he's OK.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
^^^ That depends on the local municipalities rules on disposal. Many still allow you to pour it down the sewer (inside drain). If the car wash drains in to the sewer (not the storm drain) and they allow it, he's OK.
Any community that allows this practice should have all of their aldermen/women, mayor and entire city council's heads examined.

An excerpt from the EPA website on anti-freeze:
Antifreeze is toxic to humans and animals. Waste antifreeze contains heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, and chromium in high enough levels to potentially make it a regulated hazardous waste, so most states strictly regulate antifreeze disposal. Antifreeze generators and state and local programs should not dump spent antifreeze on land or discharge it into a sanitary sewer, storm drain, ditch, dry well, or septic system; dumping antifreeze can cause serious water quality problems and might harm people, pets, or wildlife.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/antifree.htm

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think "anti-freeze generators" includes you or me. The wording there implies to me that businesses and governments should not use the sewer to dispose of their byproduct anti-freeze. I am also confident that our waste water treatment facilities where I live can handle consumer quantities of anti-freeze in the regular waste water stream. Everyone should check their own local regulations.
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

^ Where do you live again, bpounds? I want to make sure if I ever visit your town that I have plenty of bottled water with me.

Oh, and OP, you're in Bourbonnais? You should join up with the Chicagoland Dirty Deltas. We're a great group of local YJ's, TJ's and mostly JK's. Regular outings and good people willing to help out a fellow Jeeper. BTW, how's Bears camp going?

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
^ Where do you live again, bpounds? I want to make sure if I ever visit your town that I have plenty of bottled water with me.
Play it safe. Stick with beer.

Seriously though, our sanitary sewer does not feed into the water table.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.