heater controls? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heater controls?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

heater controls?

I didn't want to hijack the other threads, and I'm a little confused about something.
when did the YJ's switch to vacuum controls for the heat/defrost?
did they only use the vacuum setup for a few years, and then switch back to cables?

edit:
the reason I'm confused is that I see questions about the vacuum controls, and some are on jeeps older than mine, and some are on jeeps newer than mine(mine's a 93 by the way), and mine has cables that control the heat/defronst, and temp. was I just lucky and got one with cables from the factory, or did the previous owner swap in a different heater and controls?

Last edited by muddy93; 04-08-2009 at 02:51 PM..
muddy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's always had vacuum controls since their introduction in '87. JF member rrisher did a CJ dash conversion in his '87 YJ and took some great pics along the way. You can see the complete thread at the link I provided. The picture in this reply came from that thread, with many thanks to rrisher for taking them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-cj-dash-swap-write-up-pictures-634392/

Near his thumb you can see the fan speed switch, and a bit further back is the vacuum valve with 3 ports on it.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

thanks for the info, however, I just went out and looked at mine.
the front of it(what you can see from the drivers seat) looks the same as the one pictured in that thread, however, I have no vacuum lines at all going to any part of the heater controls.
I have cables that go from the back of the heater control pannel, over to the heat/defrost/vent flapper, and over to the temperature control flapper.
so, in conclusion, I have a 93 YJ with NO vacuum lines at all for the heater controls, just cables.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
thanks for the info, however, I just went out and looked at mine.
the front of it(what you can see from the drivers seat) looks the same as the one pictured in that thread, however, I have no vacuum lines at all going to any part of the heater controls.
I have cables that go from the back of the heater control pannel, over to the heat/defrost/vent flapper, and over to the temperature control flapper.
so, in conclusion, I have a 93 YJ with NO vacuum lines at all for the heater controls, just cables.
The door on the fresh air intake duct is definitely vacuum operated. If the lines are gone you get no outside air unless the door is jammed into the open position. Then in the winter it must get real cold in your YJ.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

well, I don't know then. I replaced the heater core about 2 years ago, and I know for a fact that there were no vacuum lines anywhere on the plenum box. the only things I had to disconnect were the two cables, and the electrical plug for the fan. I'll crawl under the dash tomorrow when it gets light out, and check out the back of the heater control pannel again. if I can get a camera in there, I'll take a couple pics.

as far as heat in the winter goes, it's quite toasty, and it seems like the "vent" is working, when I move the levar to the vent position, it feels like outside/unheated air, and goes back to heated air when I move the levar back.
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well, I don't know then. I replaced the heater core about 2 years ago, and I know for a fact that there were no vacuum lines anywhere on the plenum box. the only things I had to disconnect were the two cables, and the electrical plug for the fan. I'll crawl under the dash tomorrow when it gets light out, and check out the back of the heater control pannel again. if I can get a camera in there, I'll take a couple pics.

as far as heat in the winter goes, it's quite toasty, and it seems like the "vent" is working, when I move the levar to the vent position, it feels like outside/unheated air, and goes back to heated air when I move the levar back.
From a Jeep 1991-12993 FSM
The vacuum lines are not near thre heater core they run along the heater plenum up under the dash. The vacuum switch in on the top of the heater control assembly. Some pictures for you, note part number 4 in the 1st picture and part njumber 7 in the 2nd picture:

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

thanks for the pics, I drove my jeep to work today, so I'll go out and take a look on my lunch break, and see if the vac stuff is still intact.

ok, next question, is the fresh air door only supposed to be open when the control is in the "vent" position(closed when heat and defrost are selected)?
if that's the case, then where dose the heater draw it's air from in the heat/defrost settings, because it looks like with that door closed, it would be totally blocking the air inlet for the heater core?
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fresh air intake it seems only occurs when the lever is in the VENT position. The temperature control lever controls air flow through the heater core. And then there is a valve to 'choke off' water flow through the heater core also. so there is a good amount of recirculated air being used.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

well, I checked it out, and I do in fact have the vacuum control for the fresh air door. and I guess it's working properly, at leat I haven't noticed anything to make me beleive otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
And then there is a valve to 'choke off' water flow through the heater core also. .
where would this "choke off" valve be located?
Unread 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well, I checked it out, and I do in fact have the vacuum control for the fresh air door. and I guess it's working properly, at leat I haven't noticed anything to make me beleive otherwise.

where would this "choke off" valve be located?
It doesn't!!

At least not on a YJ. XJ's have them.
Hot water flows throught the heater core at all times on the YJ.

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

cool, thanks!
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

here's the thread on heater controls and what controls what

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-heater-blower-puts-out-more-air-when-not-running-heres-why-499877/
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.