Heater Control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater Control

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 11-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
YJ Newby

Heater Control

90 YJ, 4.2l, No A/C

I have a problem with my heat control lever. When I to slide the lever from "cool" to "warm", the lever snaps back to about the halfway point. I cannot get the lever to slide to warm and stay there. I have traced it to the connection on the heater box, but cannot figure out how to adjust it to make it open the mechanism on the box. I usually just reach down there and open it by hand while holding the control lever in the "warm" position. Pain in the butt when I am driving. Any suggestions?

YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Iv got the same problem.... I just use my hand and push the control lever on the box all the way twoard driver side it opens the door and lets all the heat through.
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
swami2806
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's probably binding up. Put a thin coat of 3 in 1 oil on all the linkages and work them back and forth.
swami2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Sounds to me like you just have a bad cable. Easy and cheap fix. Just replace it and be done with it. Most likely somewhere along the lines, the metal cable got a bend in it which won't allow it to travel properly. Even straightening out the bend never fixes it all the way. This is also a common problem on CJ's. Just my .02

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing that when I first got it. I pulled the cable loose and then sprayed it with some lube, pulled the cable back and forth, sprayed it again. Haven't had any problems since then.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
thecommissar

Greetings, I am trying to help a friend fix the heat in her 1989 TJ. The temperature slider moves the pivot arm on the heater box but the other end of the pivot arm is not connected to the the metal arm that apparently controls the air mix flap inside the heater assembly. I found a picture of the proper assembly orientation and I can adjust to make that work but my other concern is that the mixer flap seems to move only about 1-1.5 inches total back and forth...Is this correct? If not how do I get in there to free up the movement to have complete temperature control. This Jeep does not have AC by the way...

Thanks

Michael
thecommissar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My cable is broken at the heater console. Dealer item only?
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
SRC21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had all the same issues on my new used jeep. When you remove the control you may find that over time the ends are kinked due to lack of lubrication in the line. I also found one end completely snapped off the plastic retainer. After following the advice here of lubricating the lines, ends and door hinges I also had to drill a small hole directly through the center of the old plastic retainer. Then used a small screw and created my own thread to have it hold the cable to the vent control side. So far its all 100%. A new cable would be great but I always like to see if I can fix it for free 1st...
SRC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
thecommissar

So can either of you tell me what the travel should be on this little thing, or at least what yours is???
thecommissar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
tommy100
1984 CJ7 

blower motor resister

my 87 yj blower has only one speed, i think its the resister,anybody know where to get the replacement?
tommy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Tommy you should creat a new thread. You can get the heater block at any auto parts store.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.