Heat in a YJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heat in a YJ

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
Jim Piszar
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrick
Oops, yeah, I was talking about the foam as pictured, Jim. I hadn't looked into it but after reading this thread remembered noting that it was nasty dirty and could stand replacing.

Is there a consensus on whether or not it needs to be replaced?
It looks like it would be easy to take out and clean by removing the screws around the periphery of that housing. The hardest part would be prying it apart due to the sealer.

jim

Jim Piszar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #47
Ferrick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

True. I'd just be worried that the foam is so old it would dissentigrate under any sort of (water) pressure.

Might as well give it a shot in the coming days.
Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #48
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrick
Is there a consensus on whether or not it needs to be replaced?
Isn't that foam directly applied to the door? I think it's so it dosen't rattle (like everything else on my YJ).
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #49
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So, what if the heater doesn't work at all. Yeah, I'm in Tucson where it still gets into the 70's during winter, but I am a desert rat and I get cold. I turn it on, can here air blowing, but don't feel anything, just a little coming from the dash, and it's only warm, never burning. I've replaced the heater core (it was leaking) and the t-stat. What are the procedures for checking the equipment?

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #50
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambox
So, what if the heater doesn't work at all. Yeah, I'm in Tucson where it still gets into the 70's during winter, but I am a desert rat and I get cold. I turn it on, can here air blowing, but don't feel anything, just a little coming from the dash, and it's only warm, never burning. I've replaced the heater core (it was leaking) and the t-stat. What are the procedures for checking the equipment?

Your door for the heat is probly not open all the way. This is what was wrong with mine atleast i had the same things happen to me... the air blew not so hard and the heat was just a little bit warm. On the passenger side right under the glove box youll see a adjuster its like a bar inside a small passage that can be moved back and forth.(It opens to let all the heat throught) If u push it twoard the driver side all the way over as far as possible it will open the door better. After i did that my heat burns my hand if i stick it infront of a vent its so hot.
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #51
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhampshireYJ
Your door for the heat is probly not open all the way. This is what was wrong with mine atleast i had the same things happen to me... the air blew not so hard and the heat was just a little bit warm. On the passenger side right under the glove box youll see a adjuster its like a bar inside a small passage that can be moved back and forth.(It opens to let all the heat throught) If u push it twoard the driver side all the way over as far as possible it will open the door better. After i did that my heat burns my hand if i stick it infront of a vent its so hot.
The little bar (a bent coat hanger) just spins around in circles...so it's supposed to connect to something? When I changed the heater core, I noticed there were two doors in the box (if I remember right). I don't think they were connected to anything.

A heater has two controls, the temp (red to blue lever) and another for speed (a lever for hi and low) They each control a door? Does the motor constantly blow then?

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #52
XFR Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Piszar
I think Ferrick may be talking about the foam on the vent opening. I'm not sure if it is a filter or just a seal for the vent flap but, mine is pretty nasty too.

jim

Sorry for the delay on my own thread but here is what I found:

-Jeep runs for 5 minutes and temp guage is a 195-200 area and stays there
-vents up by window blow pretty warm air but not burning hot
-vents on floor are the same
-The vent pictured above is blowing in cold air faster then the warm air is coming in through the other vents. Anyone have any ideas?
31" swampers
Locker in rear
XFR Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #53
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFR Jay
-The vent pictured above is blowing in cold air faster then the warm air is coming in through the other vents. Anyone have any ideas?
If the vent pictured (fresh air vent) is blowing in while the heat is on, there's your problem. Mine closes when I slide the lever to heat. I'd check that first.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #54
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95
If the vent pictured (fresh air vent) is blowing in while the heat is on, there's your problem. Mine closes when I slide the lever to heat. I'd check that first.
True,,,that vent should be completely closed when the heater is running, and should not have forced air coming through ever (by forced I mean via the blower motor). The blower shouldn't run when the vent door's open is what I'm trying to say.

So in short that door is not functioning properly.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #55
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

outside air

Yea thats the outside air vent. On the right side is a lever try moving that with your fingers. I can visiually see it open and close. Open is letting outside air in. Someone correct me if I am wrong!
front lunch box lockers w/posi-lok
uniden cb, gt steering wheel, 4.10 gears
and anything else homemade
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #56
GreyfoxVt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is still not putting out hot air with the blower fan. I replaced the fan, core, switch, and coil rectifyer, but still no fan! There are only two wires connected to the fan on with power and the other a ground, how hard can this be?
GreyfoxVt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #57
yj40swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyfoxVt
My Jeep is still not putting out hot air with the blower fan. I replaced the fan, core, switch, and coil rectifyer, but still no fan! There are only two wires connected to the fan on with power and the other a ground, how hard can this be?
Open wire between the switch and blower motor? Got test light? You could always get a toggle on/off switch and bypass the factory switch.
88 Wrangler - 4.0 swapped (OBD1) Lock right Locker (rear) Rough country 4in lift Bushwacker fender flares M/T 33x12.5x15 Baja MTZ -15x10 Classic Lock rims Posilok Front Axle Engagement Onboard air (a/c conversion) M.O.R.E 1in body lift system, Warn m8000 winch
yj40swapped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #58
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my jeep is a 94, i guess those already have a good blower motor? but mine doesnt blow very hard at all, top and doors and i still freeze
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #59
19YJ91
1997 ZJ 

My blower sounds like its blowing fine but hardly any air comes out of the vents. But for some reason if I go uphill it blows out like you would expect. any ideas?
19YJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #60
unclebubb63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

would like to know where to get the vent deflectors at hands are cold
unclebubb63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.