heat doesnt seem warm enough - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heat doesnt seem warm enough

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

heat doesnt seem warm enough

The heat on my 88 YJ, 4.2, automatic doesnt seem warm enough. The temp gauge is showing 210 +/-. the heat gets warm then seems to cool down. new water pump and t- stat. Heater core??

also... on my 87 YJ 4.2 5 speed
the temperature gauge will work then not work for a few days and work again, the fuel gauge did the same the other day, went out and the temp started working then they both worked again and then the temp stopped and started again. I know the cj's are tied together, are the yj's? or just my luck. any suggestion on what to check?

RH31379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is your heat turning all the way to WARM? Your cables could be stuck causing the heater door to not fully open. This happened on my jeep and i just followed the cable and used my hand to push the door fully open and after that my heat has been HOTTTTTTTTTTT.
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

it's just the one pivot? i believe it is going all the way.
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My heat will melt the soles of your shoes, sounds like your heater control cables aren't woking properly like newhamp said
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH31379
it's just the one pivot? i believe it is going all the way.
Its the one pivot but you need to make sure its pushed all the way to the driver side. So the little bar that sticks out should be down the bottom. I thought mine stopped but i figure it out after i pushed hard enough it could toward driver seat and that made my heat hotter.
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

I'll check it out, what would be the symptoms of a bad heater core?
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH31379
I'll check it out, what would be the symptoms of a bad heater core?
The heater core is made up of small piping that has numerous bends. Clogging of the piping may occur if the coolant system is not flushed or if the coolant is not changed regularly. If clogging occurs the heater core will not work properly. If coolant flow is restricted, heating capacity will be reduced or even lost altogether if the heater core becomes blocked. Control valves may also clog or get stuck.

Also check to see if theres pressure in the hoses to make sure the t stat is working properly.
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd check the coolant level also, if it's low it never makes it to the heater core.
will_982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
roadhog481

Iknow this is a really old post but i just did this procedure and it worked very well.
My symptoms were heater not blowing very hot, and when i did turn the heat up it would blow warm for a second and then cool down really fast. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the cooling system that had been running rusty water for years(not me, previous owner). filled it with a 60/40 mix and Still no joy on the heater.
so i disconnected both heater hoses, snipped off about 2 inches and squeezed the end of the heater hose into the garden hose.
turn on the water slowly and you should get rust and crap coming out of the other hose. then reverse the flow. back and forth until full flow is observed at the other hose. I had it run gloppy rusty crap run for a couple seconds.

note: watch the pressure from the garden hose it might be too high for the core and blow a hole in it.(then again im not an expert)

finally, hook all hoses back up and enjoy the hair cinging hotness.

hope this helps

Daryl
roadhog481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look through here.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...oundup-503604/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heat in Florida??? What for???? LOL
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.