Headlights won't turn on........ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights won't turn on........

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
rick2010
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Headlights won't turn on........

My headlights won't turn on,All of the fuses are good. I took out the switch and tested the connections. the switch is working and power is leaving the switch.

Where is the relay? Would that be before or after the switch in the circuit?

The fog lights are wired through the main light circuit so I am without any lights at the moment......

Any help is appreciated.

I am going to run the fog lights independently after I fix this so that if one set of lights fails, the other will work.

I got in the jeep to come home from work on midnight and the lights wouldn't come on............PITA.....

rick2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the headlight harness for corrosion or a loose connection? Mine had a 3-prong connector that plugs into the passenger side headlight and that gives power/signal to both headlights. Any damage to that connector and weird things happen. (My brights were gone for days before I realized a wire came loose form that connector )

I'm not sure about the relay. It's either in your underhood fuse box or on the firewall. (My YJ is somewhat different than yours so some of the info could be a little off base)

Hope some of this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2010 View Post
My headlights won't turn on,All of the fuses are good. I took out the switch and tested the connections. the switch is working and power is leaving the switch.

Where is the relay? Would that be before or after the switch in the circuit?

The fog lights are wired through the main light circuit so I am without any lights at the moment......

Any help is appreciated.

I am going to run the fog lights independently after I fix this so that if one set of lights fails, the other will work.

I got in the jeep to come home from work on midnight and the lights wouldn't come on............PITA.....

There is no relay for the headlights. Power goes first through the headlight switch which just turns power on or off. Then from the switch it goes to the dimmer which controls high/low beam (on the column under the dash). The headlights are powered directly from the dimmer and the ground is at each lamp. The fog lamps run off the output of the dimmer as well. So I would suspect the high/low switch(dimmer). Check the connector on this switch.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Are you sure the bulbs just aren't burned out? Try activating your high beams and see if they come on...

Check fuse #8 again with a multi-meter...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Are you sure the bulbs just aren't burned out?
I had that happen once...both bulbs. It about drove me crazy...

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.