Headlights ON = Dash Gauges OFF...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights ON = Dash Gauges OFF...?

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Headlights ON = Dash Gauges OFF...?

After "fixing" some 4WD vacuum line stuff, now when I turn on my headlights all the center dash gauges go dead. When I turn the lights off, they all come right back on. Very easily repeatable. It doesn't matter if the Jeep is being driven or if the engine is on or off. It was working fine prior to yesterday evening and the 4WD stuff.

I did nothing with the electrical, not one thing. I'll check some things after work, but if someone has suggestions on where to start, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

el scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el scorcho View Post
After "fixing" some 4WD vacuum line stuff, now when I turn on my headlights all the center dash gauges go dead. When I turn the lights off, they all come right back on. Very easily repeatable. It doesn't matter if the Jeep is being driven or if the engine is on or off. It was working fine prior to yesterday evening and the 4WD stuff.

I did nothing with the electrical, not one thing. I'll check some things after work, but if someone has suggestions on where to start, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Explain......No lights, no gauge reading or both ? Center Pod only, correct ? Tach and speedo OK ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

All of my interior lights do the same thing but when I turn the high beams on. Does it every time I turn on the brights, all tge dash lights go out. The gauges still work just not any of the dash lights. Radio keeps working too.

Let me know if you get this figured out as it may solve my delima too.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
All of my interior lights do the same thing but when I turn the high beams on. Does it every time I turn on the brights, all tge dash lights go out. The gauges still work just not any of the dash lights. Radio keeps working too.

Got a couple thoughts. Let me look at my wiring CD. TTYL.
Unread 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update

Update

I've isolated the problem to the dash dimmer switch. If the dimmer switch is on but rolled all the way down/off then the gauges operate normally. Otherwise, the temp gauge gets higher as I roll the dimmer switch up/brighter until the needle pegs out. But the fuel, oil and battery just look like I turned off the vehicle. The clock just stops. Also, no dash lights come on. This only happens when the key is in the "accessory" or "on" position and the dimmer switch is pressed on BUT not rolled down/adjusted to off.

Thanks
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Apollo, does moving the dimmer switch have any effect on the dash lights at high beam ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el scorcho View Post
Update

I've isolated the problem to the dash dimmer switch. If the dimmer switch is on but rolled all the way down/off then the gauges operate normally. Otherwise, the temp gauge gets higher as I roll the dimmer switch up/brighter until the needle pegs out. But the fuel, oil and battery just look like I turned off the vehicle. The clock just stops. Also, no dash lights come on. This only happens when the key is in the "accessory" or "on" position and the dimmer switch is pressed on BUT not rolled down/adjusted to off.

Thanks
More info to ponder. Just got home from my daughters soccer game. Need to chance to study the wiring.
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've had the exact same problem for going on two years now and I've tried replacing the dimmer switch with no avail. I think it could be corrosion where the dash wires mate with the plastic plugs.
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Solution!!!

I took apart the dimmer switch and cleaned it; it didn't fix anything, but it's cleaner.

Here's what worked:

I took off the center dash instrument cluster and cleaned the traces. In a few spots where the protective plastic coating had separated, I cleaned the traces with a Q-Tip and some alcohol. Things are back to normal for the time being.
Unread 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The only area that I can think of where your headlights and dash lights have any contact is at the head light switch. So I would guess that either the switch is going bad or there is a high bean / low bean switch on the column that may be going bad and back feeding to the man headlight switch.

I would probe the headlight switch with a test light as you alternate between high and low beams and see what you come up with.

Unless you have a relay that toasted itself.
Mistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistic View Post
The only area that I can think of where your headlights and dash lights have any contact is at the head light switch. So I would guess that either the switch is going bad or there is a high bean / low bean switch on the column that may be going bad and back feeding to the man headlight switch.

I would probe the headlight switch with a test light as you alternate between high and low beams and see what you come up with.

Unless you have a relay that toasted itself.
Good advice.

Again I have not had a chance to look at my wiring CD(s) yet.

I eliminated the dimmer so my set up is a little different. Plus my lights are on relays.

The HL switch has 2 power feeds. One for headlights and the other for dash lights. If the switch is bad then the extra current draw of the HB`s might be breaking contact. Just a guess at this point. Jeep has full current running through the HL switch. Not a very good set up.

The Hi Beam switch has 4 (need to verify) wires.

Both the low beam and the high beam both run through the HB switch. The HB indicator light and the Hi/Low`s are the outputs.

Again, I need to work on this more and may retract a statement. Bad time of the week right now.
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All of my interior lights do the same thing but when I turn the high beams on. Does it every time I turn on the brights, all the dash lights go out. The gauges still work just not any of the dash lights. Radio keeps working too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Apollo, does moving the dimmer switch have any effect on the dash lights at high beam ?

More info to ponder. Just got home from my daughters soccer game. Need to chance to study the wiring.
No, but I have a linked issue where if I leave the dash lights on at night, the switch will heat up and all of the lights, inside, headlights, etc will begin to shut on... off... on off....on.....off.......................on....of.. .. etc. If I turn the dimmers off while driving, the switch never gets hot and does this. If I leave the dash bezzel off and the switch unscrewed from the dash, it wont do it even with the dimmer on.

I have a feeling the highbeams on = inside lights off, has something to do with inside lights on, all lights shut off and on randomly after 5-30 minutes.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

as I'm having the same problem I figured I'd revive this thread. has anyone found a solution to this? gauges work when head lights are off then peg when headlights are on. can do the same thing by adjusting the dimmer switch. seems like it would be the switch but posters here say changing the switch didn't fix it.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bump for the morning crowd

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bad ground on the high beam circuit.. probably the high beam indicator lamp... easiest way to check it is to just remove the lamp and then see what it does

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bad guage ground. Clean your circuit board connector.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash guage , electrical issue , electrical problem , head light

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.