Headlights cause sputtering - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights cause sputtering

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's just an old school way to check your alternator. You pull the positive battery cable off the battery while the jeep is running. If the engine dies, the alternator is bad, if the engine stays running, the alternator is good. It's just another easy check you can do to help rule out any problems with the alternator.

wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Mine went through a dying spell some time back. Doing great now, except if I put the headlights on within the first few minutes of engine warm up. Used to be when I turned the radio on, but now it favors the headlights. I pay it no mind any more. I just wait a second and it fires again.

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
Xcon0wn4g3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I drove to the parts store and got a new switch. I plugged it in and let it hang there while I drove back home. Everything went well it wasn't trying to die on me. It seems to happen when I need it most.. I was taking off from a stop light once and it started sputtering, I was in the middle of an intersection just rocking back and forth. It wanted to go but then it didn't.
I will try it later and see what happens. I hope that fixed it.

I'm curious, when you guys turn your lights on is there a slight but noticeable drop in rpm's? Can you hear it idle down a little?
Xcon0wn4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

It acts like water in the gas if that makes any sense. You can hear it rumble down and idle low, and then die.

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Peter Nuss
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would not pull battery cables while the vehicle is running. The electrical surge is bad for your computer and any other sensitive electrical devices. The days of doing that safely are long over. Also, back when it was safe to do, you pulled the negative cable, not the positive cable. Most likely it's your light switch, building up resistance, which creats heat. Better to change it before it melts.

Also, your headlight draw alot of amps. So, at idle it will drag down you rpm slightly. But, so will you wiper or A/C etc. especially on a 4 cylinder. I also think you have something in your ignition system that is getting sensitive to a voltage drop, could be a coil or something. I imagine it will fail soon and you'll know for sure what it is then.
Peter Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could OP test if the switch is the issue by essentially bypassing it?
If OP is running his Jeep and pulls back on the indicator stalk to engage the hi-beam headlights and it sputters and dies. Wouldn't he then know it's not the switch (or not JUST the switch)?
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Xcon0wn4g3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A while back when I hit the hi-beams it just made it worse but that subsided. The new switch seems to have cured the problem. I guess we can call this thread solved, until further notice. I honestly don't see that small amount of corrosion causing that big of a problem.
I appreciate all the advice.
Xcon0wn4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The way to check an alternator and battery is under load. You need to turn on you lights wipers and all the other loads and read the voltages. I think you have a bad battery or alternator.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #24
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I finally solved mine. No more issues ever now.

Stalls when idle, can save it with a hell of a throttle push?

Mostly after you have a hot car?

Run the COMPLETE diagnostic for fuel pressure. Mine was a fuel pressure regulator leaking back all pressure. Seemed FINE with vac hose on OR off. (Correct diagnostic pressures that is....). All was well until the 30 min return line pinch test, coupled with 0 fuel line pressure when off.

Tags
dying , electrical , headlights , lights , sputtering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.