Headlight problem during rain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight problem during rain

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Rufe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Headlight problem during rain

Recently my headlights have started going on and off while driving in the rain. They work properly when I am stopped or when it is not raining. How do I begin to find the problem when they are working when I am checking them out? Where do I start when there are no obvious loose wires or connections?
I would welcome any suggestions.
Rufus

Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The switch is heating up and protecting itself like it was designed. For some reason only in the rain though.

You can replace the switch easy enough and or do the headlight relay mod.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's the switch itself. You can pull it out and try and clean it or replace it.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
It's the switch itself. You can pull it out and try and clean it or replace it.
Here's a thread that discusses that and new replacement switches: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...eaning-865127/
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you own a YJ, you need to own a multimeter. Exactly for things like this. Is more than likely your switch, but if there's a short somewhere causing the whole problem, you'll need a meter to chase it down. Even the really nice models aren't too expensive, I recommend picking one up, it'll pay for itself in saved headaches in no time. Good luck!
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Rufe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info and link. I think I will replace the light switch. Cheap enough fix if it is the source of problem. I have a multimeter but since the problem only occurs when running on road in rain it is hard to use the meter to check problem.
I will be happy to spend the money for a new switch on the chance it will work.
Thanks again,
Rufe
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.