Headers for Yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headers for Yj

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Headers for Yj

I have a 90 YJ with 4.2L i-6. I got a set of headers off a guy who said he was using them on an 89 Yj with same engine. He didnt know the brand. They are split headers with 2 outlets. He told me he was running dual exhaust out the back. I looked around and they appear to look like Hedman Headers for a Jeep CJ with same engine. Will these work for my YJ? I would imagine I need to run dual exhaust as well. Sorry if this question seems dumb. I am a little bit of a rookie when it comes to Jeeps.

busnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
BigDub
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the Dynomax headers I have on mine
BigDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks. Running dual exhaust? any chance you could tell how yours is set up and what it cost to get done? thanks again.
busnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
BigDub
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dual exhaust, no cat.

Headers loop around the front of the oil pan and the pipes run on both sides of the transmission over the skid plate and inside the frame. Mufflers come right after the transfer case but before the rear axle with the tailpipes looped over the rear axle and finish on either side of the rear bumper.

Headers were already installed but the mufflers and pipe installation costed $200.00.
BigDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

dual exhaust is a space hog on a jeep. its more of a PITA then its worth. most dual outlet headers for i6 jeeps have another collector to merge the two. this type of header uses long primary tubes and is undesirable for this application. the shorter the better. had a similar setup and it was awful.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the pacesetter duel set up on my4.2 before i built the stroker, mine did come with a two into one pipe, which ran under the oil pan. It was kinda a space hog but being long tube it does help on the low end torque! I have now a set for the 4.0 head that is on the stroker, just haven't had the time to install it yet. I like the duel set up, I want to put it on with a duel inlet flow master and run a single out the rear
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
but being long tube it does help on the low end torque!
i had a noticeably opposite effect...
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, 200 bucks to get all that done is a fantastic bargain. I paid 200 plus for one new muffler and piping out the back.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.