Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #121
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How difficult is this on a scale of 1-10? I can do basic wiring but that's about it.

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #122
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
The whole relay aspect of this is great, definite improvement, however one thing was left out of the mod. The stock switch had a thermal system where if there was overdraw, it would drop out and then come back a few seconds later, even it it then dropped out a few seconds after that. The idea is when driving at speed and electrical bad happens, you are likely not in the dark and having to stop and not hit stuff on your own. (Test... drive at 55 in traffic on a curvy road, then close your eyes, then pull over the the shoulder and stop).
The stock switch doesn't have that much power going through it anymore. Mine would get really hot prior to the relay mod, now it does not. By adding the relays there's really no major draw through the switch resulting in an overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
How difficult is this on a scale of 1-10? I can do basic wiring but that's about it.
Can you crimp/solder? If so, it's about a 2 (if 1 is the easiest and 10 the most challenging). All the work is under the hood so there's no monkeying about under the dash playing with wires.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #123
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
The stock switch doesn't have that much power going through it anymore. Mine would get really hot prior to the relay mod, now it does not. By adding the relays there's really no major draw through the switch resulting in an overheat.
You missed my point completely. Maybe the next guy wishing to do this mod won't.
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #124
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
You missed my point completely. Maybe the next guy wishing to do this mod won't.
Or you could just say what your point is instead of expecting people to pick up on it.

Unless I am wrong in understanding your POV, you are saying that if the stock switch reaches its failure point, there is a fail safe built in that ensures the lights come back on, or atleast flicker until you can get off the road. If the relay, or an aftermarket switch fails, there is no fail safe and you are SOL driving blind. Same thing happens if you run a fuse on the circuit instead of an auto reset breaker.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #125
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The whole relay aspect of this is great, definite improvement, however one thing was left out of the mod. The stock switch had a thermal system where if there was overdraw, it would drop out and then come back a few seconds later, even it it then dropped out a few seconds after that. The idea is when driving at speed and electrical bad happens, you are likely not in the dark and having to stop and not hit stuff on your own. (Test... drive at 55 in traffic on a curvy road, then close your eyes, then pull over the the shoulder and stop).
Quote:
Let me try to understand your non-clearly stated point:

-The stock switch has a thermal management system in it that protects the system from too much current fly by flicking the lights off and then subsequently back on a moment later, allowing you time to get off to the side of the road.
-You are saying that without this system to protect the Jeep, if something happens with your wiring, then your headlights go out completely.

You realize most modern cars do not employ such a feature, correct? Your point is now null and voided, if you did your wiring correctly then you should have ZERO issues with current over-draw. That means using the appropriate relays, wiring, and fuses, and not running them around or near any substantial heat sources.

I highly HIGHLY recommend this modification to ANY Jeeper. Modern cars don't employ this ancient technology anymore, they all rely on relays and fuses.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #126
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I'm just retarded. But I'm STILL missing the point... The stock switch has a thermal shutdown, yes. But how would that fact make someone not want to do this conversion

If anything, that's a reason why one WOULD do this... it puts less strain on the stock system making it LESS likely to trigger thermal shutdown and potentially extend the life of the switch.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #127
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Let me try to understand your non-clearly stated point:

-The stock switch has a thermal management system in it that protects the system from too much current fly by flicking the lights off and then subsequently back on a moment later, allowing you time to get off to the side of the road.
-You are saying that without this system to protect the Jeep, if something happens with your wiring, then your headlights go out completely.

You realize most modern cars do not employ such a feature, correct? Your point is now null and voided, if you did your wiring correctly then you should have ZERO issues with current over-draw. That means using the appropriate relays, wiring, and fuses, and not running them around or near any substantial heat sources.

I highly HIGHLY recommend this modification to ANY Jeeper. Modern cars don't employ this ancient technology anymore, they all rely on relays and fuses.
Most, If not all modern cars do have such a feature. ether through the switch , a circuit breaker or other electronic control device. That said, I add relays on all my headlamps. I use circuit breakers on the supply side of the relay. But yea no short no problem.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #128
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Will these work even though they are 5 pin relays. I'm going to use them for the relay headlight upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-40-AM...item3f1ad2f67b

Orlie
Orlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #129
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those should work fine... Actually I might buy a couple of those sets...

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 09-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #130
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlie View Post
Will these work even though they are 5 pin relays. I'm going to use them for the relay headlight upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-40-AM...item3f1ad2f67b

Orlie
Yes those will work fine. You will not use pin 87a. Use a terminal pick to remove the 87a lead from the socket.
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #131
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did this mod on my 01 TJ. I only had a 2 volt drop at the bulb. But, 2 volts makes a big difference. One of the best mods i've done. Highly recommended.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #132
CountryXJer
Retired Navy

1988 XJ Cherokee 

I did that mod quite a few years ago on my XJ for the same reason. Major improvement with standard halogen bulbs. I also do the same for my trailer wiring and add a switch on the ground side of the relays to de-energize them (no power to the trailer connector) when I am not towing.
CountryXJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #133
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Check "headlight shootout" thread in jk tech (lol) LEDs would fantastic, and they make great aux lights but the industry seems to be struggling to make an LED headlight to replace stock that is worth the $$$. Right now upgraded H4s or a full HID retrofit are the two big conversions. I was going to go HID but I'm happy with the H4 conversion...
From what I've heard, the downfall to LEDs are related to heat (or lack of). They run at much less amp draws as well as less heat, keeping them cool to the touch. This is great for southern jeepers, but for those of us up north that experience snow and sleet, we need a bulb that provides heat to the lense to keep the snow from building up and freezing.

I know some LED headlight manufactures are in the process of designing a heated lense system to provide just enough heat to keep the lense clear from snow and ice build up, but I can imagine this will only increase their already high price of their light kits.

Anyway, props to the OP for doing this write-up, very well done.
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #134
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
From what I've heard, the downfall to LEDs are related to heat (or lack of). They run at much less amp draws as well as less heat, keeping them cool to the touch. This is great for southern jeepers, but for those of us up north that experience snow and sleet, we need a bulb that provides heat to the lense to keep the snow from building up and freezing.

I know some LED headlight manufactures are in the process of designing a heated lense system to provide just enough heat to keep the lense clear from snow and ice build up, but I can imagine this will only increase their already high price of their light kits.

Anyway, props to the OP for doing this write-up, very well done.
Actually, LED lamps are notorious for producing a LOT of heat, that's why every manufacturer of high intensity LED lamps has designed a heat sink into the back of the lamp. I'm sure the TruckLites produce plenty of heat themselves. You should feel some of the LED light bars me and some buddies use after a few hours of making our own daylight..

Unread 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #135
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

JeeperDon. The switch is the weak point in the lights for sure. The advantage to the relays is that you are minimizing the current flowing through the switch. Usually when the switch fails it fails open and you are left with no lights at all. You can still use a circuit breaker to feed the lights. Yes, the feds require lights to fail at low beam for any system failure on all new cars. The YJ predates the requirement but I am unsure exactly when it was put into effect. It was definitely an OBDII change so sometime after 96.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.