Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #106
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Hows the light control w those? I got the autopal e-codes off fleabay and I love em. The output is awesome, but more importantly the lines are crisp. No 'lost light"
The e-codes have better light placement due to the lenses and the cut off. DOT is only really rated on the ability not to melt from bulb heat Europeans are really picky about that so you're better off keeping the Autopals, but upgrading bulbs.

[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #107
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ

Hows the light control w those? I got the autopal e-codes off fleabay and I love em. The output is awesome, but more importantly the lines are crisp. No 'lost light"
Can you link to the ebay lights?
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #108
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Can you link to the ebay lights?
My kit looked just like this one, if he has Autopal they should be the same...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-95-JEEP-W...ht_1876wt_1344
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #109
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thoughts on these?
http://www.dashzracing.com/87-95-Jee...hts-Black.html
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #110
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Not sure by what you mean by light control. Output is great. I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD and the Rampage h4s are every bit as bright as the Taco lights.
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #111
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The stamp on the outside lens looks to be the same as the ones I pulled off my Jeep (non-projector). The lens is plastic and they're really not good quality and scatter light

You could give 'em a shot, assuming they accept returns... Personally I went with the common theme on the forum, go Euro code and don't look back
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #112
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HurricaneRza. Is that a response for me?
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #113
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Not sure by what you mean by light control. Output is great. I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD and the Rampage h4s are every bit as bright as the Taco lights.
light control is where the light goes, does it scatter or is it aimed. DOT is usually unaimed (newer ones can kinda be aimed), scatters light which is "okay" with halogen bulbs, but complete trash once you drop a HID unit into it...

Euro codes (if you look at the pic) have lenses designed to send most of it onto the street with a slight patch of light upwards to illuminate signs and pedestrians at night...

Check out: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

He's forgotten more about it than I've learned
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #114
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HurricaneRza. Is that a response for me?
Yep, sorry about that... I hit quick reply instead of quote. I had lenses that looked the same minus the projector in the middle. I was REALLY unhappy with the light control
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #115
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what I got
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97826693701

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #116
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The "projector" headlamps you find on eBay are total junk. The light control is very limited, the included bulb is trash, and they are not technically road legal anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
light control is where the light goes, does it scatter or is it aimed. DOT is usually unaimed (newer ones can kinda be aimed), scatters light which is "okay" with halogen bulbs, but complete trash once you drop a HID unit into it...

Euro codes (if you look at the pic) have lenses designed to send most of it onto the street with a slight patch of light upwards to illuminate signs and pedestrians at night...

Check out: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

He's forgotten more about it than I've learned
DOT Approved DOES NOT indicate a specific way the light is shaped. All the DOT Approved stamp indicates is that the lamp won't kill you or harm you or others in any way when used as directed or intended.

All lenses aim the light, just some do it a lot better than others. Lenses are designed to focus around 95% of the light on the road in front of you, whereas the other 5% is direct upward at road signs off to the right side of the road, as well as straight above for overhead signage.

When you install HID bulbs into a lamp designed for a Halogen bulb, you change the optics completely. HID bulbs create an arch of light around the center of the bulb, whereas Halogen bulbs do not. This arch of light radiates off of the bulb differently than the light coming off of a filament. Ontop of that, the length of the HID bulb is longer than a halogen bulb, so again, the optics are changed (right into a massive flood light that limits your viewing field and blinds oncoming traffic- too bad all of the idiots around here don't realize that, maybe if they spend just a little time researching before they did it then we wouldn't have issues). The light source is radiating differently, and the point of origin is further out from the lens than designed. Try messing with a Maglite and you will understand. Lenses are PRECISELY engineered for the type of bulb that will be shining inside of them. If you find a fluted lens or aimed optical reflector designed for HID bulbs, then it won't be any worse than looking at every other car in oncoming traffic.

Offroad lights are not as affected, as they typically uses a symmetrical fluted lens, or a symmetrical reflector. Those fluted lenses on our headlights (or all of those fancy bends inside of the reflector if you have a clear lens) are what focus the light on the road ahead and create the optical light pattern. That's why they look a bit funky and have all sorts of different patterns on them.

FWIW, I have never credited DSL as being entirely accurate, as his information is relatively outdated.

So, now that we are all up to speed on the technicalities of light sources and types, maybe we can get back on topic

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #117
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got the delta h4 kit on sale for I wanna say 80 bucks and love them. I'm gonna try this mod this weekend
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #118
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Xpress, good info. Where do the led's fall into the whole bulb thing?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #119
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Xpress, good info. Where do the led's fall into the whole bulb thing?
Check "headlight shootout" thread in jk tech (lol) LEDs would fantastic, and they make great aux lights but the industry seems to be struggling to make an LED headlight to replace stock that is worth the $$$. Right now upgraded H4s or a full HID retrofit are the two big conversions. I was going to go HID but I'm happy with the H4 conversion...
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #120
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The whole relay aspect of this is great, definite improvement, however one thing was left out of the mod. The stock switch had a thermal system where if there was overdraw, it would drop out and then come back a few seconds later, even it it then dropped out a few seconds after that. The idea is when driving at speed and electrical bad happens, you are likely not in the dark and having to stop and not hit stuff on your own. (Test... drive at 55 in traffic on a curvy road, then close your eyes, then pull over the the shoulder and stop).

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.